2019-2020 AmeriCorps VISTA Team Leader
United Way of Thurston County hosts an AmeriCorps team of 20 VISTA members annually. We are seeking an engaging, team-oriented, and self-motivated VISTA Leader who seeks to further positive social change through fighting poverty.
VISTA Leaders support VISTA members and their host sites during their year of service by coordinating team-building activities and team meetings, and coordinating professional development trainings, coordinating service projects. VISTA Leaders engage VISTA members and provide ongoing support and mentoring to enable members to successfully complete and enjoy their term of service.
The VISTA Leader will also build capacity for UWTC's VISTA program by enhancing the program's recruitment strategies, improving host site training practices, increasing the team’s presence on social media, and promoting VISTA impact to stakeholders.
Serving as the VISTA Leader brings you into direct contact with many local organizations and leaders. Our VISTA grant covers up to seven counties with VISTA members in Thurston, Pierce, Mason, Lewis, Grays Harbor, Jefferson, and/or Clallam County.
VISTA Leaders must have served one full term of full-time service in AmeriCorps or Peace Corps. Being an active listener, compassionate, a team player, flexible and supportive of VISTA and UWTC's core values is essential to success. Other desired skills include conflict resolution, leadership, writing/editing, recruitment, teamwork, social services background, self-motivated, and strong organizational and communication skills.
Benefits of AmeriCorps VISTA service:
- Bi-weekly living allowance of $564.34 (pre-tax)
- End-of-service award (choice of $6,095 Segal AmeriCorps Education Award or approximately $3,000 cash stipend)
- Childcare assistance
- Loan forbearance and interest accrual payment or deferment on qualified student loans
- Transportation and relocation assistance
- Comprehensive leave benefit
- High-quality training, orientation, and professional development
- Non-competitive eligibility (NCE) status upon completion of service
- Unique team experience as part of United Way and AmeriCorps networks