DC Service Corps Volunteer
About Franciscan Mission Service:
Franciscan Mission Service (FMS) is a nonprofit organization that provides Catholic laity the opportunity to serve in solidarity with economically marginalized communities around the world.
About the DC Service Corps Program:
The DC Service Corps (DCSC) Program offers young-adult Catholics opportunities to learn about nonprofits, deepen their commitment to service, grow in faith, and live out the Franciscan values on a daily basis. In the spirit of Saints Francis and Clare, volunteers serve for a year in various ministries, sharing Christ’s love and cultivating relationships of peace and justice.
This transformative experience is enriched by an intentional Christian community, in which volunteers focus on simple living, prayer, reflection, and living the Gospel mission of “service and action for a more just and humane world.” DCSC also provides its volunteers servant-leadership training, professional development, mentoring, faith formation, and educational seminars rooted in Catholic Social Teaching.
Key Program Benefits:
· Experience serving with a mission-focused nonprofit serving those living on the margins
· A fully-furnished bedroom, $350 monthly stipend and health insurance
· An in-depth orientation and two retreats throughout the term of service
· Spiritual direction and opportunities to deepen one’s faith
All DC Service Corps volunteers live together in an intentional community at Casa San Salvador, a house located in NE part of Washington, DC. The house is walking distance from the Brookland-CUA metro and bus station, which allows easy access to explore different parts of DC. The community focuses on living out the Franciscan values of simplicity, fraternity, prayer, compassion for those living in poverty, and care of creation. Volunteers regularly gather together for prayer, reflection, meals, and fellowship.
As a house of hospitality, Casa San Salvador provides volunteers with the opportunity to live with (and offer hospitality to) guests from around the world, including visiting priests and sisters as well as secular Franciscans and the FMS overseas lay missioners (during their formation and re-entry periods).
· Must be 21-35 years old and have a desire to develop servant leadership skills
· Have a demonstrated commitment to service, social justice, and one’s own faith development
· Open to learning about Franciscan spirituality and committed to living in intentional community.
Communications Associate @ Franciscan Mission Service
· Use your writing and design skills to address issues of poverty in DC and around the world. Create print and digital marketing/fundraising materials for Franciscan Mission Service, manage and contribute to our social media presence including our blog, and write press releases.
Development Associate @ Franciscan Mission Service
· Support a Catholic nonprofit while learning about donor relationships, fundraising initiatives, grant writing, and other essential facets of nonprofit management. Manage donor databases and incoming donations; process invoices and purchases; and research new donor opportunities.
Program Associate @ Catholic Charities
· Within the department of Parish Community Organizing and Advocacy, gain experience in grassroots organizing, networking, retreat and workshop facilitation in parishes and schools, training new young leaders, and serving as a nexus of collaborative advocacy efforts on the part of a broad-based, intergenerational group of lay Catholic leaders and local organizations that are involved in bringing about the environmental and racial justice.
Global Mission Associate @ United States Catholic Mission Association
· Build, promote, and market the Global Mission Registry – an international database of mission sites, trips, parish partnerships, medical missions, and mission projects. Compose and share stories of mission with partner organizations such as parishes, schools, and universities.
Health and Wellness Associate @ So Others Might Eat (SOME)
· Apply program development in addition to health and wellness experience in ten affordable housing units across DC. Create health and wellness curriculae; deliver consistent, relevant programming to marginalized populations; and build relationships with residents.
High School Corporate Work Study Program Assistant @ Don Bosco Cristo Rey High School
· Use your passion for working with young adults to empower and enable under-resourced high school students to succeed in the professional workplace while preparing for college with Christian values essential for successful and fulfilling lives. Engage with students during morning check-ins; facilitate transportation to/from students’ workplaces; and evaluate students’ workplace performance.
Programs Associate @ Franciscan Mission Service
· Gain valuable professional experience by making a difference in the world supporting Catholic international and U.S. mission programs. Assist in volunteer recruitment; manage our missioner Formation program; oversee scheduling and coordination of FMS guest house; and support missioners overseas.
Services Access Team Member @ The Father McKenna Center
· Accompany women, men, and families experiencing homelessness in underserved communities within the shadow of the US Capitol. Serve low-income families through a daily food pantry; welcome individuals to the Center and connect them to services that meet their needs; and collaborate with staff to support case management and social media initiatives.
*Please note this is a list of current positions. Additional positions may be available. Inquire with staff to learn more.