Interpretation/Remote Video Monitoring of Steller Sea Lions Intern
Intern will team with the interpretive staff for 20 hours a week and with the Chiswell staff for 20 hours a week. Interns will assist with the day-to-day support of animal-related research activities involving Steller sea lions. Candidates should exhibit a strong interest in field-based and animal-related research work and associated support. Applicants should possess the ability to work for extended periods of time while staying focused on the task at hand. Under the guidance of Chiswell and Interpretation staff, the Intern will be trained and expected to perform the following duties:
- Interpret all of the Alaska SeaLife Center’s static and live animal exhibits housing marine mammals, birds, fish, and invertebrates. Help maintain the physical appearance of manned exhibits and deliver announcements over the public address system.
- Present briefings, lectures, presentations, multi-media shows, structured and impromptu talks, and guided tours by learning to employ appropriate interpretive techniques and devices geared to the characteristics and interest of particular audiences.
- Operate remotely controlled cameras from a desktop computer.
- Make behavioral observations of Steller sea lions and demonstrate learned skills through video recording, data entry, and management.
- Follow a regimented schedule of observations and be prompt with daily duties.