Electrical Engineering Intern (Substation)
Support and assist with various projects as assigned within the Company’s Substation & Protection Engineering Department. These projects will be assigned consistent with the Company’s Internship Program with an emphasis on developing an understanding of the Company’s business and enhancing the intern’s ability to apply his/her engineering education in a professional environment.
The Summer Internship Program at Black Hills Energy is far from ordinary. You will tackle a real-world project and present it to members of our Executive Team. These projects are designed to enhance your communication and teamwork skills, as you will be collaborating with individuals across all functions within our organization. You will also work alongside professionals in your field, gaining in-depth knowledge about the energy industry and your chosen field of expertise.
At the end of your internship, all of our Summer Interns are invited to our corporate headquarters in Rapid City, South Dakota for an entire week (all expenses paid)! You will tour our different facilities, hear from professionals around the company, and present your final project. This trip helps tie together all you have learned. We hope you finish out our program with an understanding of what it takes to turn the lights on, and to keep them on for our customers across eight states.
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on January 25, 2019.
LOCATION: Pueblo, CO
Intern Relocation Adjustment Allowance of $1,000.00 is offered for the purpose of assisting with various expenses associated with your relocation for the internship (less applicable taxes and based on eligibility). Contents of our relocation program are subject to change and may vary based on position.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Manager/Supervisor of Engineering
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Review, verify, and update electrical system diagrams and models to accurately reflect power system configurations.
- Assist with power system design documentation and standards.
- Provide engineering support to department engineers, technicians, and field maintenance personnel.
- Support engineering project construction and operations.
- Effectively gather, document, and organize technical data with a high degree of accuracy and completeness using tools and templates available.
- Additional projects may be assigned as needed.
- Understand and adhere to all Company safety policies, practices, and procedures to assure a safe working environment for self and others.
- Establish professional relationships and work effectively with other Black Hills Corporation personnel and departments.
- Perform work in a team environment and provide direct support to other utility operational groups.
- None Required.
- College sophomore or above working towards Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, with a Power System emphasis preferred.
- Basic knowledge of electrical system engineering and principles.
- Working capability of Microsoft Office applications.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prepare and give presentations.
- Detail orientated and organized.
- Ability to perform work independently, efficiently, and in accordance with deadlines.
- None Required.
- Ability to operate company vehicles to travel to substation facilities.
- Perform work in close proximity to energized electrical facilities.
- Prepare and present a synopsis of experience with the Company at the end of the internship.
- Applicant must be able to perform the essential job functions of the position with or without accommodation.
About our Company: We are a growth-oriented, vertically integrated energy company that is devoted to our communities. We have a mission to improve life with energy and a vision to be the energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture sparks unique perspectives, opening doors to new ideas and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 2800 employees and serve 1.25 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas). Our non-regulated businesses generate wholesale electricity and produce natural gas, oil and coal.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
We are an EEO Employer