FIRE PROTECTION ENGINEER
Open: January 11, 2019
Close: February 11, 2019
Fermilab is America’s premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and at locations around the world, including deep underground mines in South Dakota and Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole.
We are strategic risk takers, innovators, and collaborators. We are engineers, scientists, technicians, administrative professionals. We are 1,800 employees advancing knowledge for the benefit of humankind. Fermilab has been at the forefront of particle physics for more than 40 years. We build world-leading accelerators and detectors to conduct some of the most advanced particle physics experiments possible. We collect and analyze the data from those experiments with some of the most powerful computers in the world. We conduct this research on a 6,800-acre prairie, 35 miles outside Chicago, a treasure that has been designated a National Environmental Research Park.
Fermilab’s Facilities Engineering Services Sections seeks an experienced Fire Protection Engineer. Under general direction, plans and performs engineering tasks, which includes research, design, and development of small to medium engineering projects or portions of large projects in compliance with all applicable local, state and federal regulations, requirements and standards, and all DOE orders. Assignments typically include equipment design and development, a test of materials, preparation of specifications, coordination of manpower required to manufacture and install/test projects.
Respect, understand and value individual differences that embody the principles of diversity.
Abide by all environmental, safety and health regulations.
- Under the direction of a more senior engineer or scientist, plan and perform research, design, and development of small/medium engineering projects and/or portions of large projects.
- Develop drawings and specifications for various engineering projects. Plan projects from inception to completion and bring a project(s) to operating status.
- Receive general direction on smaller/routine projects and more specific instructions for more complex tasks. Some latitude for unreviewed action or decision.
- Research/propose solutions to engineering problems.
- Independently evaluate, select and apply standard engineering techniques, procedures and criteria to assignments which have clear and specified objectives.
- Serve on safety panels or review committees to audit the documentation provided for other project installations along with the associated engineering analysis, as required.
- Provide technical direction and/or supervise draftspersons, designers, engineering associates or technicians as assigned to specific projects, or supervise junior engineers dependent on assignment.
- Design fire protection systems including fire alarm, sprinkler, and special hazard systems in accordance with the International Building Code (IBC), IBC Fire Prevention Code and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) codes and standards.
- Perform fire protection design tasks such as sprinkler design, criteria specification, preliminary hydraulic calculations, fire protection, and fire alarm system layout
- Perform fire protection code analysis and compliance review.
- Review A/E designs as well as fire protection and fire alarm shop drawings.
- Conduct building and fire code reviews and analyses and perform field surveys, fire protection system inspections, and acceptance testing.
- Assist with the investigation and evaluation of existing life safety systems.
We Are Looking For
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Fire Protection or related engineering field from an ABET accredited institution and 3+ years of related experience (mechanical and/or fire protection engineering and life safety) required.
- The successful candidate will have experience in one or more related areas including code consulting, the design of fire suppression and alarm systems and mechanical design of piping systems is required.
- Working knowledge of building codes, life safety, and referenced fire protection standards is required.
- Experience with AutoCAD required and/or Revit is a plus.
- National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET) certification (level III or higher) desired.
- Professional Engineer licensure in the State of Illinois is desired.
Relocation is not available for this position.
Physical Activity and Work Conditions
Human Factors: Mental Concentration, Repetitive Motion, Sitting, Standing, Visually Demanding.
- Ability and willingness to work additional hours beyond the normal workday when required to meet deadlines.
Diverse people. Diverse jobs. Great science.
Fermilab is America’s particle physics and accelerator laboratory.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans are encouraged to apply.