Communications Team Intern (Community Service Aide II)
The Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT) is hiring temporary positions to assist communications efforts related to the bureau's social media, internal communications, and digital marketing. Assistance is needed related to internal and external strategic communications, digital communications, public involvement, education and outreach.
Tasks may include monitoring social media, scheduling social posts, assisting with social strategy, writing for internal communications and social media, and help with reporting and organizing data from social media. Other tasks may include public involvement, map making, graphic production and administrative tasks. There will also be coordination with internal and external staff, memo writing, equity work and duties related to public and stakeholder engagement.
PBOT is a community partner in shaping a livable city. We plan, build, manage and maintain an effective and safe transportation system that provides people and businesses access and mobility. We keep Portland moving. For more information about PBOT, please visit http://www.portlandoregon.gov/pbot.
PBOT embraces diversity, models inclusivity, and promotes equity through its service delivery, internal operations, organizational culture, and in its work with partners and the community.
Work Schedule: Flexible hours between 8:00 AM and 6:00 PM and some evening and weekend meetings; 20-32 hours per week
Time Commitment: This is a temporary Community Service Aide (CSA) II position with a maximum of 1,400 hours in a calendar year.
Pay: $15.50 - $20.00 per hour based on experience and education; no benefits.
Why join the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in ALL people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.
This position is not benefits eligible.
Applicants must possess:
- Knowledge of transportation planning policies and principles
- Knowledge of the principles, methods and practices applied in design and implementation of public information, public affairs, community outreach, public involvement and participation and promotion and marketing programs.
- Knowledge of the principles, methods and practices used in deploying social media and other digital communication platforms to disseminate public information, conduct public outreach and market public programs.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Excellent research, organizational, and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Ability & experience working with diverse populations while having diversity, equity and inclusion competencies.
Additional desired qualifications (not required):
- Knowledge of urban and regional planning principles.
- Knowledge of and experience working with graphic design software, such as Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, and Adobe Photoshop, to produce reports and public engagement materials; website design and management.
- Knowledge of and experience in applying the principles, methods and practices applied to the drafting and production of effective press releases, news blogs and advisories.
- Knowledge of and experience applying the principles, methods and practices related to advancing transportation equity in various forms of public communications and marketing.
The Recruitment Process
Applicants must submit the following to be considered for the position:
1. Cover Letter
- Your resume and cover letter will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your cover letter should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items #1-7 in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement. Please include your education and experience for the position you are applying for. Your resume should support the details described in your cover letter.