Aquatic Toxicity Lab Support
The EPA Environmental Research and Business Support Program has an immediate opening for a full-time Aquatic Toxicity Lab Support position with the EPA facility in Duluth, MN.
What the EPA project is about
The Office of Research and Development at the EPA supports high-quality research to improve the scientific basis for decisions on national environmental issues and help EPA achieve its environmental goals. Research is conducted in a broad range of environmental areas by scientists in EPA laboratories and at universities across the country.
The Mid-Continent Ecology Division (MED) is one of four ecology divisions of the National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory (NHEERL). The Mid-Continent Ecology Division is located in Duluth, MN. The MED is the focal point ORD research related to freshwater ecotoxicology and freshwater ecology. A primary objective of the ecotoxicological research at MED is to provide the scientific basis and technological means to enable the prediction of whether or not an environmental agent will produce adverse effects in aquatic organisms and minimize the uncertainty of such predictions.
What you will be doing
As a team member, you will assist in one of several aquatic toxicology projects evaluating different aspects of chemical toxicity in aquatic organisms. In addition, the team member may be involved in development of new techniques/procedures, writing operating procedures, and performing experiments with established scientists
- Experience conducting molecular biology assays,
- Experience conducting cell-free, cell-based, or tissue-based in vitro assays,
- Experience with spreadsheet preparation, data collection, and data analysis, and
- Experience with Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
How you will apply your skills
- You will assist in general laboratory activities, which may include one or more of the following:
- amphibian toxicity testing,
- enzyme kinetic assays,
- tissue/cell culture,
- hormone assay,
- maintenance of logbooks and chemical records,
- keeping track of inventories of chemicals and supplies,
- cleaning of laboratory glassware,
- maintaining general cleanliness and function of the lab.
Location: This job will be located EPA’s facility in Duluth, MN.
Salary: Selected applicants will become temporary employees of ORAU and will receive an hourly wage of $20.95 for hours worked.
Hours: Full time
Expected start date: The position is full time and expected to begin October 2019. The initial project is through May 14, 2020, with potential options periods.
Working conditions: You will be supervised by a mentor who will provide day-to-day direction, as well as coach, advise, counsel and review your work. The position will involve work in an administrative setting and is not expected to involve exposure to hazardous elements
- Be at least 18 years of age and
- Have earned a Bachelor's degree in biology, biochemistry, cell biology, molecular biology, toxicology, chemistry, or closely related fields within the last 24 months and
- Be a citizen of the United States of America or a Legal Permanent Resident.
EPA ORD employees, their spouses, and children are not eligible to participate in this program.