Research Communications Outreach
The EPA Environmental Research and Business Support Program has an immediate opening for a full-time Research Communications Outreach position with the EPA facility at Research Triangle Park, NC.
What the EPA project is about
The Office of Research and Development at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) supports high-quality research to improve the scientific basis for decisions on national environmental issues and help EPA achieve its environmental goals. Research is conducted in a broad range of environmental areas by scientists in EPA laboratories, in the field, and at universities across the Nation.
The Immediate Office of the Assistant Administrator (IOAA), within the Office of Research and Development (ORD), provides leadership for implementing and communicating the research conducted under ORD’s six research programs to a wide-range of stakeholders.
What you will be doing
As a team member, you will assist with strengthening the National Program Manager’s (NPM) internal and external outreach efforts, as well as assisting with a broad range of science communications efforts.
- Demonstrated education and/or experience in both science and communications;
- Demonstrated leadership skills and have experience working in teams;
- Strong written, oral and electronic communication skills. A writing sample must be submitted.
- Course work in writing, communications, or a related field is desired;
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (i.e., Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook), desktop publishing, and the Internet;
- Experience working in fast paced environments with minimal guidance;
- Experience to working effectively in teams and individually.
How you will apply your skills
- Compiling and arranging input to weekly reports of NPM activities.
- Assisting with meeting planning and logistics, including providing assistance in preparing talking points for speakers, creating PowerPoint presentations and assisting room reservations and setup.
- Providing assistance in creating, reviewing and updating the NPM’s online media sources including Internet, Intranet, blogs, social media (such as Twitter and/or Facebook).
- Preparing formal communications materials (e.g., MS Word documents, PowerPoint presentations and Excel files), images or video using industry standard software and approaches (e.g. digital photos, graphic files-Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign, and video files).Electronic information, images, data and written information prepared under this Statement of Work will be the property of EPA.
- Working with NPM staff, Regional staff, and others from across EPA to implement outreach products, ensuring that target audiences are identified and assessing the value of the efforts to audiences.
- Facilitating the appropriate communication and outreach in collaboration with communications staff, related to program activities including: creating one-page summaries, developing longer pieces based on directed background research, and assist in developing communication materials for wider audiences.
- Performing other tasks as required to accomplish project objectives.
Location: This job will be located EPA’s Research Triangle facility in Raleigh-Durham, NC.
Salary: Selected applicants will become temporary employees of ORAU and will receive an hourly wage of $28.99 for hours worked.
Hours: Full time
Travel: Travel is not required.
Expected start date: The position is full time and expected to begin November 2019. The initial project is through May 14, 2020, with potential options periods.
Working conditions: You will be supervised by a mentor who will provide day-to-day direction, as well as coach, advise, counsel and review your work. The position will involve work in an administrative setting and is not expected to involve exposure to hazardous elements.
- Be at least 18 years of age and;
- Have Master’s degree in scientific field or a closely related field of study from an accredited university or college within the last 24 months and;
- Be a citizen of the United States of America or a Legal Permanent Resident.
EPA ORD employees, their spouses, and children are not eligible to participate in this program.