Seasonal Farm Crew (April-November)
As a member of our farm crew you will join a team of experienced organic farmers and have the opportunity to work within all aspects of our farming operation. Farm crew members will have responsibilities including propagation house work, weed control, field planting, harvest and post-harvest handling, and sales and deliveries of food. Farm crew will also be expected to help manage areas of production including pest and fertility management, greenhouse production, and irrigation.
Our operation functions at a unique scale, employs collaborative decision-making processes, and has a focus on providing professional development opportunities to our farm crew. Because of this, the ideal candidate would be passionate about sustainable farming and interested in pursuing a career in agriculture.
This is a seasonal, hourly position with 5-6 day work weeks. Hours may be variable and long depending on the time of the year. Crew members receive hands on training in all aspects of our diversified production system as well as the option for extracurricular educational experiences.
In collaboration with the farm management team, the seasonal farm crew is responsible for the following key functions:
- Harvesting of produce efficiently and consistently for a variety of markets
- Transplanting and direct seeding crops reliably
- Cultivation of crops by hand, with various tools, and mechanically
- Irrigation setup, maintenance, and operation
- Support implementation of integrated pest management plan
- Greenhouse propagation and management
Post-Harvest Handling, Processing and Delivery
- Post-harvest handling, including receiving and processing of produce for a variety of accounts
- Packing orders consistently in a fast-paced environment
- Delivery of orders throughout the greater Seattle area
General Farm Production Team
- Set up and supervise farm stand during CSA pick-up, public days, and at farmers markets
- Provide excellent customer service to the public, communicating about Oxbow’s programs and Membership opportunities
- Maintain a smooth, timely flow with team members while working through projects
- Make sound judgment calls on product grading and time management
- Guide occasional farm tours and assisting with public engagement within farm fields
- Provide necessary supervision to members, volunteers, and gleaners in farm fields
- Work cross-functionally with program teams to ensure efficient and effective communication and operations
- Represent Oxbow in a positive, professional manner, engaging with and educating visitors about Oxbow’s mission and programs
- Perform other duties as needed and assigned by the Farm Manager
- At least one year of previous farming experience preferred
- Physical dexterity and agility necessary in all aspects of the job for safety and efficiency
- Consistent attention to detail
- Able to lift heavy & awkward objects, up to 50 lbs.
- Work well independently and in a team setting
- Able to take direction, ask for help/clarity, and accept constructive feedback on work and technique
- Able to give direction and act in lead role when necessary
- Clear, consistent communication
- Able to perform repetitive work in inclement weather – standing, kneeling, bending over
- Small engine operation and tractor experience a plus
- Able to speak conversational Spanish a plus
- College degree in a relevant discipline is a plus
Additional desired qualities include: environmentally conscious, detail oriented, self-motivated, energetic, and professional.
The Oxbow Farm is part of a larger non-profit organization. A commitment to Oxbow’s overall mission and working as part of a team is critical.
Oxbow Farm & Conservation Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, disability, national or ethnic origin, or sexual orientation. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This is a seasonal, full-time position, paying $15.00 per hour, with some paid time-off and access to food from the fields.
REPORTS TO: Farm & Garden Manager
Please read carefully, incomplete applications will not be considered. Email a resume, letter of interest, and 3 references to:
Oxbow Farm & Conservation Center
Please write Seasonal Farm Crew in the email subject line and include where you found this position in the message body.
We are looking for 4 Seasonal Farm Crew member and this position is open until filled.
To see this job posting, and our other open jobs, on our website, click here.
Our mission is to inspire people to eat healthy, sustainably grown food and to steward our natural resources for future generations.
WHAT WE DO
The Center is located on 230 acres of forest and grassland bordered by Western Washington’s Snoqualmie River. We use this mixed landscape to:
Produce food. We cultivate 15 acres of mixed vegetable crops using agro-ecological principles and engage in research to inform conservation farming practice.
Grow native plants. We operate a native plant nursery that produces plants for habitat restoration projects, educational gardens, and urban landscapes, and conducts research on native plant propagation using sustainable growing methods.
Connect children to nature. We offer environmental education programs for children pre-K thru high school to build their comfort in the outdoors and provide them with opportunities to learn about the links between agriculture, conservation, and the environment.
Restore and sustain habitat. We carry out conservation projects and research to learn how humans can use land responsibly while protecting biodiversity.