CO - P1089 - Environmental Specialist - Surface Water Modeler
The Department of Environmental Quality’s Water Permitting Division, Office of VPDES Permits, seeks a qualified applicant to perform complex water quality modeling and develop and maintain software applications to improve the efficiency and consistency of permitting decisions across the state. This position will develop and implement guidance, training, and permit procedures, policies and regulations in order to ensure the issuance of consistent, legal, accurate, and technically acceptable Virginia Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (VPDES) permits. This position also provides technical and regulatory guidance to regional and central office water permit program staff.
• Knowledge of engineering principles, environmental science, and/or wastewater treatment engineering.
• Knowledge of federal and state environmental laws, regulations, and programs.
• Demonstrated experience in Water Quality Modeling.
• Knowledge and experience in the VPDES permit program.
• Ability to develop policies and guidance related to technical evaluations.
• Strong project management skills.
• Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing.
• Computer skills to include MS Office Suite, database management, and data analysis tools.
• Ability to write, review, and develop evaluate technical memos, policy, and guidance.
Preferred Qualifications - Knowledge of Software development and/or advanced programming software R is preferred.
Special Requirements - The Commonwealth does not provide sponsorship; therefore, applicants must be a citizen or national of the U.S., a Lawful Permanent Resident, or an alien authorized to work.
Excluding current DEQ Employees, the Selected Candidate MUST pass a criminal background check.
For consideration for this position, candidates MUST apply online at https://jobs.agencies.virginia.gov. Applicants are encouraged to be specific regarding job-related knowledge, skills, and abilities. Resumes are encouraged but do not substitute submittal of the online application. Applications submitted via postal mail, email, or fax will not be considered.