Environmental Educator at Canyon Country Discovery Center
Come Join Our Team!
Become an Environmental Educator with the Canyon Country Discovery Center and help to inspire and educate others about conservation efforts on the Colorado Plateau. The Environmental Education position is a great opportunity to learn first-hand what it takes to plan and implement quality environmental education programming. Join our team for an opportunity to help shape the environmental leaders of the future.
● Design and implement environmental education curriculum (with training)
● Lead educational programming for school aged children as well as the general public
● Assist with educational initiatives at the Discovery Center including our Dark Sky Discovery Series
· Assist with the development and implementation of education programs for students, teachers, and youth visitors to our facility. This includes all aspects of programming – including set up, clean up, and follow up. Educational topics include subjects such as conservation, ecology, biology, astronomy, botany, hydrology, and STEAM based activities.
· Assist with off-site outreach programs in a variety of settings including classrooms, libraries, community centers, etc.
· Assist in the development and implementation of adventure education programs, single and multi-day camps, adventure trips, and outdoor programs that focus on subjects such as ecology, geology, hydrology, conservation, cultural history, astronomy, and geography. These programs are based on public lands throughout Southeastern Utah.
· Assist in the development and implementation of conservation and science-based curriculum to be carried out both on and off site. Audiences may include: pre-K through 12th grade, teachers, tourists, youth groups, families and adults.
· Assist in the development and implementation of astronomy programs including our bi-monthly dark sky events as well as educational school-based programs.
· Operate a mounted 14” Telescope and Dobsonian telescopes (with training).
● Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident
● At least age 18 by the start of their term
● Must have a high school diploma or equivalent
● Must undergo and pass a National Criminal History Check
● Eligible to serve in an AmeriCorps State/National term
● Commitment to completing their Term of Service (May 1st – November 1st)
● Two years of experience working in the field of Education (preferred)
● A valid driver's license
● A willingness to learn about culturally diverse populations on the Colorado Plateau
This is a 900hour AmeriCorps position that comes with these benefits:
· $7,408 living allowance (paid in even disbursements throughout term of service)
· $3,047.50 education award (available to members after successful service term)
· Federal student loan forbearance and workers comp.
Interested? Please send a cover letter, resume, and 2 references to Ben Muhlestein BenM@ccdiscovery.org by April 6th