FORCES Conservation Steward - Volunteer Position
Time Frame: May 30th - August 2020
Deadline to Apply: Applications considered as received
Compensation: Class credit or volunteer experience
Time Commitment: 1-2 days (7-14 hours/week) (TBD)
The New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation (OPRHP) in the Finger Lakes Region is seeking Conservation Stewards to assist agency staff in the management of targeted natural areas. Stewardship for the parks in this capacity means that the individuals chosen as Stewards will act as caretakers over the designated areas and native species.
Work duties may include:
· Monitoring eastern bluebird nesting boxes and/or conducting avian point count surveys.
· Deployment of wildlife cameras and/or conducting track surveys to detect target species, e.g. river otter
· Assessing the vegetative impacts of white-tailed deer within fenced and open sampling locations
· Monitoring benthic macroinvertebrates and/or salamanders for non-target impacts of management.
· Surveying and mapping rare native plants and/or animals.
· Planting native species, removal of invasive plants, and/or collecting seed for landscape restoration
· Monitoring pollinators and/or sampling for the OE parasite in monarch butterflies.
· Forest health regarding hemlock woolly adelgid- includes tree surveying, mapping, and monitoring stands for tree survival or efficacy of control treatments.
· Creation of educational programs, signage, or other materials
· Identification of conservation concerns/future projects
· Habitat assessment / remote sensing (ArcGIS)
Work conditions include uneven terrain, heat, cold, and exposure to poison ivy, thorns, ticks, and biting insects
These duties and tasks will support and enhance visitor experience in the parks, strengthen the academic programs of students, and allow students to develop life-long connections to NYS parks.
In addition, Stewards will gain valuable field experience and learn organizational, leadership and communication skills that they will be able to apply in their personal and professional lives. The Stewards will also have the opportunity to network within NYS Parks and other state agencies and learn the logistics of working at the state level.
· Candidates must be able to provide their own transportation to and from work sites.
· Candidates must be self-motivated, able to initiate projects and tasks, have good time management and organizational skills, and effectively work with students and the public.
· Candidates must be comfortable doing manual labor & working outside in a variety of weather conditions.
· Experience with plant, animal, and track/sign identification, hand tools, map reading, and GIS helpful but not necessary.
If interested, please send a resume and letter of intent to:
FORCES Program Specialist – Finger Lakes Region
New York State Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation
2221 Taughannock Park Road, Trumansburg, NY 14886
*FORCES is a model aimed to grow volunteerism within New York State Parks by giving students the opportunity to participate in stewardship, conservation, and historic preservation projects.