As a PHYSICAL SCIENTIST within the Woods Hole Coastal & Marine Science Center, some of your specific duties will include:
- Prepare and analyze sediment samples to determine (including but not limited to) grainsize, carbonate content and mineral content
- Prepare and analyze water and rock samples for sediment concentration and mineral compositions, respectively
- Process derived analysis data via established laboratory standard operated procedures
- Adhere to and improve laboratory safety processes
- Calibrate and perform daily/weekly maintenance on laboratory instrumentation using established procedures
- Use productivity and specialized software to report data to laboratory management and data end users
- Use knowledge of geology, marine sediments, rocks and other appropriate topics to critically evaluate the quality of analysis results and identify issues
- Keep complete and accurate laboratory data records and laboratory notebooks, including those associated with individual analysis instruments in line with laboratory procedure and bureau Quality Management System guidelines.
- Assist laboratory and center science staff in collection of sediment samples, rocks, water and other scientific samples as appropriate
- Assist laboratory staff in subsampling collected materials in preparation for later analysis
HOW TO APPLY: All Applicants must apply on-line by the closing date of the announcement in order to receive consideration. For additional information on how to apply go to the external application.
In order to receive consideration, applicants must meet the eligibility and qualification requirements listed in the vacancy announcement. As part of the application process, applicants must submit the required documents listed in the job posting. Applications will not be accepted after the closing date.
If you have questions about the application process, please refer to the point of contact listed on the job posting.