Weekend Surgical Technologist
Schedule 40 hours per 2 weeks
Hours 7A-5P plus call
In an environment of continuous quality improvement, the Surgical Technologist is responsible for performing a wide variety of patient care activities in the operating room scope of activities while supporting the medical and nursing plan of care to patients. The Surgical Technologist handles the instruments, supplies, and equipment necessary during the surgical procedure. The position has an understanding of the procedure being performed and anticipates the needs of the surgeon while having the necessary knowledge and ability to ensure quality patient care during the operative procedure and is constantly on vigil for maintenance of the sterile field. Exhibits the MHS Standards of Excellence and exercises strict confidentiality at all times.
· Completion of Surgical Technology program and certified as a Surgical Technologist or 3 years' experience as a Surgical Technologist
· BLS certification required
· The staff member must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on his/her unit
1. Checks supplies and equipment needed for surgical procedure including scrubs, gowns and gloves.
2. Sets up sterile table with instruments, supplies, equipment, and medications/solutions needed for procedure.
3. Performs appropriate counts with circulator prior to the operation and before incision is closed.
4. Gowns and gloves surgeon and assistants.
5. Helps in draping sterile field.
6. Passes instruments, etc., to surgeon during procedure.
7. Maintains highest standard of sterile technique during procedure.
8. Prepares sterile dressings.
9. Cleans and prepares instruments for terminal sterilization.
10. Assists other members of team with terminal cleaning of room.
11. Assists in prepping room for the next patient.
12. Obtains appropriate sterile and unsterile items needed for procedure.
13. Opens sterile supplies.
14. Properly cares for specimens.
15. Secures dressings after incision closure.
16. Maintains compliance in RQI.
17. Assumes all other duties and responsibilities as necessary.