Research Assistant I (Degenerative Diseases) Chun Lab
Sanford Burnham Prebys is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health. Our scientists are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children's disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for emerging health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Dr. Chun's Laboratory is an international team of scientists, in existence for more than 25 years, with a passion for discovery and lifting the burden of disease. Cutting-edge technologies are being used to understand the mammalian brain that include genome and transcriptome analyses of single human brain cells, novel lipid biochemical and biological analyses, and drug discovery that blends academic approaches with those found in industry.
A Research Assistant I position is available in the Chun lab. The Research Assistant will be working with researchers in the Chun Lab to study how lysophospholipids and their receptors function in normal brain development and how they function in neurological diseases. The Research Assistant will also work with a team of Chun Lab researchers to help evaluate the role of gencDNAs in neuropathologies. New technologies and techniques and basic molecular biology methods will be used by the Research Assistant to support ongoing research in these scientific areas.
- Keep written records of experiments and data organization
- Maintain reagent collections and inventories
- Perform basic laboratory maintenance including ordering of reagents and supplies
- Use basic molecular biology techniques to assess RNA quality of human brain samples
- Help researchers with basic histology techniques including immunohistochemistry
- Culture and maintain human and mouse immortalized and primary cell lines
- Oversee Lab Assistants, undergraduates, and interns
- Handle, deliver reagents to, and collect tissues from small animals
- Perform, collect, and analyze data from mouse behavioral experiments
- Bachelor’s degree in a biological science or related field or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been attained
- Prior lab experience preferred
Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities
- Must be comfortable with procedures involving small animals
- Must be able to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Demonstrate professional communication and interpersonal skills
- Possess strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Professional proficiency in Microsoft Office, Excel, and Prism preferred
- Embody the Institute’s core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.