Counselor, Accessibility Services
Counselor, Accessibility Services - North Campus
- Coordinate and provide support services by advising students with disabilities on degree plans and course selection and facilitating accommodation requests utilizing Maxient software as a tool.
- Facilitate the transition of students with disabilities into the college environment while serving as the student advocate to faculty and administration.
- Work with students receiving accommodations to create pathways for success.
- Monitor and track student progress by regularly communicating with students to determine current and future needs.
- Proactively assist students with applying for local, state, and federal benefits to include resources for students with disabilities.
- Plan and implement disability awareness and educational events for students.
- Deliver classroom presentations and facilitate workshops for students.
- Develop, foster, and maintain relationships with community agencies and organizations to connect students with services.
- Serve as an expert for San Jacinto College on issues related to students with disabilities and ADA compliance.
- Provide academic advising and registration assistance as needed.
Additional Job Functions:
- Provide short-term counseling and crisis intervention
- Work cooperatively with counterparts on the other campuses to achieve the College’s annual goals and objectives.
- Represent SJC with outside educational institutions, internal departments, and professional organizations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of ADA compliance and other issues related to providing reasonable accommodations for college students.
- Master's degree in Vocational Rehabilitation Counseling, Psychology, Counseling, Social Work, or a closely related field from a regionally accredited college/university. Degree must have prepared applicant to perform mental health and crisis counseling.
- Minimum of one (1) year of work experience providing disability services support to individuals.
- Experience in working with students with disabilities.
- Experience in career/educational, individual, short-term counseling, crisis intervention, minority concerns, learning styles/study skills.
- Experience with creating and fostering student success, retention and completion.
- Licensed Professional Counselor (L.P.C.), National Certified Counselor (N.C.C.), Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (L.M.F.T.) and / or Licensed Master Social Worker (L.M.S.W.) preferred.
- Any license(s) and Certification(s) must meet the State of Texas guidelines and regulations for counseling practices, regardless of exempt status of educational entity.
- Experience with accessibility services in a community college setting.
- Experience with various types of assistive technology.
- Experience with Banner Student Information System.
- Bilingual candidates encouraged to apply.
Salary Grade: 25
Salary is based on the Board-approved salary schedule for the current fiscal year. See Salary Schedule
Requisition Number: req2459
Posting Close Date: 9/17/2020
Annual Security Report: The San Jacinto College Police Department is responsible for preparing and distributing the Annual Security Report to comply with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act).
Equal Opportunity Statement: The San Jacinto College District is committed to equal opportunity for all students, employees, and applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, pregnancy, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, genetic information, marital status, or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal and state laws. The following College official has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the College's non-discrimination policies: Sandra Ramirez, VCHR Org/Talent Effectiveness, 4620 Fairmont Pkwy., Pasadena, TX 77504; 281-991-2659; Sandra.Ramirez@sjcd.edu