The Colville National Forest will be advertising to fill a Detail, Temporary Promotion or Permanent NEPA Planner or Writer-Editor position (GS-0028, 0101, 0401, 0807, 1082-7/9) located on the East Zone of the Colville National Forest in Newport, WA. The East Zone encompasses two Ranger Districts; Newport and Sullivan Lake. The purpose of this outreach notice is to inform prospective applicants of this opportunity, to determine the potential applicant pool for this position, and to establish the appropriate recruitment method and area of consideration for the advertisement. Responses received from this outreach notice will be relied upon to make this determination. Reply due date to this outreach notice is September 30, 2020 with an estimated start date of January 1, 2021.
This is a temporary Promotion/Detail Not to Exceed 120 days or Permanent NEPA Planner position with primary responsibilities in reviewing and/or writing environmental (EA/EIS) documents; managing small NEPA projects; gathering and evaluating subject matter documents prepared by others, including the required information and assumptions, into NEPA documents; supporting Team leader with work planning and tracking of NEPA documents.
This position would work closely with district personnel across the Newport-Sullivan Lake Ranger Districts and fill a key role on a highly functioning interdisciplinary team implementing the recently revised Land Management Plan. This position would also oversee a writer/editor trainee position.
- Supports team with work planning by tracing the progress of NEPA documents and fully supporting team members in meeting timelines;
- Supports GIS specialists in identifying spatial information, assessing, interpreting, and applying GIS data to the NEPA process;
- Assesses and documents environmental impacts on social, economic, environmental, and other resources and makes recommendations regarding the management of specific natural resources;
- May perform field reconnaissance, collection, and analysis of data needed for preparation of environmental documents;
- Reviews permits, contracts, or work plans to ensure design criteria or mitigation specified in the NEPA decision are incorporated into the implementation tool;
- Documents findings and makes recommendation on any needed actions;
- Gathers and reviews subject matter documents and includes the required information in the NEPA source document;
- Responsible for ensuring findings and recommendation are documented;
- Evaluates comments received to determine how best to respond to their concerns in accordance with environmental laws, regulations, and policies;
The Colville National Forest is looking for an individual interested in collaboration, building relationships, and embarking on new ways of doing business. If you enjoy innovation and teamwork, this may be the place for you!
The position will be supervised by the Supervisory Environmental Coordinator with a duty station of Newport, WA.
The below link will guide you to the Outreach Data Base. Please complete the Outreach and send with a current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions about this position, please contact:
Newport-Sullivan Lake Ranger Districts
Supervisory Environmental Coordinator
Newport-Sullivan Lake Districts