Intern - Data Scientist - Summer 2021
Lumen’s internship program is a 10 week, fast-paced and exciting opportunity to gain professional experience within your field of study and career interest. Interns within the North American Operations organization will be part of an accelerated learning experience, to challenge skills learned in the classroom and develop new skills while working on active Lumen work projects. Data Scientist interns will have the potential to be a part of the Artificial Intelligence Center of Excellence, working to identify, define, pilot and prove use case to solve business challenges and then pushing them to production. The internship will take place in Broomfield, CO or work from home from 6/1/2021 - 8/13/2021.
In addition, interns will connect to our company culture through community outreach projects, engaging with our employee resource groups and developing their professional skills and business acumen through exposure to senior leadership, cutting-edge technology, groundbreaking projects, and a network of mentors and fellow interns. Launch your career with Lumen and be a part of something amazing!
- Execute data discovery, exploratory data analysis, and iteratively develop predictive and prescriptive models to identify optimal solutions.
- Assist with operationalizing the solutions and changing business processes to maximize the value of those solutions.
- Mine information for previously unknown patterns and insights.
- The problems solved will be at the cutting edge of technology and will lie at the intersection of science, engineering, and business acumen.
- Be part of a highly skilled agile team within the North America Operations team.
- Enrolled at a 4-year accredited college or university
- Graduating between August 2021 – May 2023
- In pursuit of bachelor’s or master’s in machine learning or IT related degree program
- Intern is responsible for their travel to/from work location
- Must be available to work 30 – 40 hours, during the specified 10-week timeframe
- Strong technical knowledge in the areas of computer science, big data architecture, data processing, and machine learning
- Very strong in math and statistics
- Experienced in writing formulas, expressions and algorithms as needed to support analytical work
- Understands how to explore unstructured data to gain insights and build models to produce results
- Strong communication skills and relationship skill
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Ability to perform ad-hoc statistical analysis including correlation analysis, frequency distribution analysis, probabilistic modeling, sophisticated forecasting, and academic based predictive and prescriptive methods
- Capable of modeling the relationships between many sources of raw data.
- Ability to write customized algorithms to drive predictive and prescriptive analysis creating actionable recommendations
- Demonstrates a genuine drive to succeed and self-motivated, while positively representing the team