Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) Analyst
Asset management spans a wide range of activities that are all directed toward the same goal: maximizing the profitability of the assets. Excellence in asset management enables us to deliver on our commitments to our partners at the same time. The Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) Reporting Analyst is integral to helping achieve this goal.
Our Asset Management team has grown substantially this year, as we have brought two new facilities online, expanding our portfolio to 5 operating wind farms. You will work alongside two specialized analysts, a trader, and an asset manager; you will interface frequently with the Plant Operations and Accounting teams.
As Scout’s FP&A Analyst, you will make a lasting impact on Scout’s operations. You will support the development of processes, procedures, and reports that improve our team’s efficiency and profitability. You will help frame the manner in which this role interacts with people throughout the organization. You will create a set of proven practices and will set a high bar that helps every future FP&A Analyst succeed.
This position will report to the Director of Asset Management.
The quantitative perspective that you contribute will enable our team to make better informed decisions and identify trends that would otherwise take longer to address. Your responsibilities will include the following:
1. Develop, improve upon, and maintain periodic reports of the asset portfolio’s financial performance.
- Tailor different views of revenue and operating expenses for key audiences, including Asset Management, senior management, and our investors.
- Use data visualization and other strategies to present information most effectively.
- Deploy your exceptional financial modeling skills to develop tools that improve the efficiency and quality of the reports.
- Drive process development and refinement that promotes the integrity and effectiveness of the evolving reporting process.
2. Forecast the portfolio’s expected financial performance based on existing data, team input, and other resources that you assemble to quantify and model key operational and commercial drivers.
- Provide analysis for basis, covariance, and congestion reporting.
- Leverage the experience and data of the Asset Management and Accounting teams to explain financial variances to budget.
3. Communicate proactively with Asset Management leadership and team members as you identify key trends, opportunities, and concerns. When possible, come ready with potential solutions.
4. Contribute to special projects upon request.
You may be a fit for this role if this sounds like you:
- Bachelor's degree in a STEM discipline or quantitative business degree.
- 1-3 years of data analysis, model development, and data reporting.
- 1 or more years of reporting hedge and basis performance.
- Advanced knowledge in Excel (e.g., Pivot Tables) and some subset of VBA, R, Python, and SQL.
- Database design – data normalization.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to concisely frame issues by providing context, analysis, recommendations and risk/benefit tradeoffs, both in written, verbal, and presentation format, to the Asset Management team and to senior management.
- Ability to work in a flat organization, successfully leveraging the expertise of multiple colleagues in different lines of reporting.
- Demonstrated interest in renewable energy. Familiarity with wind energy operations is a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Authorized to work in the U.S. without sponsorship.
Characteristics of Successful Scout Team Members
- Integrity. Ethical professional who does the right thing even when it is difficult.
- Initiative. Resourceful self-motivator with exceptional leadership and organizational skills.
- Intelligence. Perpetual learner with the ability to solve problems and make informed decisions quickly.
- Work Ethic. Productive team member who desires to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment to meet deadlines and get things done.
- Team Focus. Purpose-driven colleague with strong interpersonal skills and a commitment to working across organizational boundaries to deliver on shared team goals.