Government Affairs Intern
EDF offers internships and fellowships for students and recent graduates in a variety of programs and departments throughout the organization. The ultimate goal of our internship and fellowship program is to provide high-quality experiences (including relevant projects and opportunities for networking) that form the foundation for any individual who is serious about pursuing an environmental career.
EDF’s Political Affairs team is working to create political will and bold policies in order to deliver the greenhouse gas emission reductions that scientists say are necessary to avoid the worst consequences of climate change. Specifically, the Government Relations team works to build support for federal legislation to advance EDF’s policy priorities on climate change, clean energy, agriculture, resiliency, and national security.
This intern will support members of the Government Relations team in their work to advance climate and clean energy legislation in Congress. The intern will conduct research, track statements and social media, attend congressional hearings, and assist with strategy development. The intern will also participate in internal and external meetings on behalf of EDF.
Tasks will include but are not limited to:
- Research on climate and environmental impacts in key congressional districts.
- Work with members of the Government Relations team to support the facilitation of bipartisan climate strategy sessions with partner organizations.
- Attend hearings and briefings on behalf of EDF, and produce polished notes on critical statements made by members of Congress.
- Monitor and track statements made by members of Congress and candidates on climate change.
- Provide support to the Government Relations team in executing fly-ins.
- Must be enrolled in/be a recent graduate of an undergraduate or graduate degree program.
- Demonstrate interest in climate change and environmental issues.
- Preference for candidates who have worked within a congressional office or with high-level stakeholders in some capacity.
- Must be comfortable with various online meeting and communications platforms.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be well organized, motivated, and detail-oriented.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in a team setting and have the ability to work independently when projects are due.
- Demonstrate initiative and problem solving skills.
Full Time - 35 Hours per week
This internship would involve compensation for work paid at a rate competitive with leading non-profits or academic credit. Students are encouraged to seek academic credit or funding through their college/university and EDF will ensure that any and all paperwork needed to secure academic credit is completed.
Interested applicants should attach their cover letter and resume to the EDF application, together with a brief writing sample.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.