Student Soil and Water Quality Researcher
Part time student hourly technician wanted to assist in completing lab, office and field tasks for irrigation water management and water quality projects. This position opens immediately for work during the 2021 spring semester, into summer 2021 and possibly beyond. Work will require approximately 10 hours per week during the school year and more hours may be available during the summer for the right candidate. Applicants must be interested and available for near fulltime work during the summer of 2021. Lab activities will include testing and preparation of sensors and data loggers, processing soil, water, and plant samples, data entry, general cleaning/lab upkeep, website maintenance, and other tasks as needed. Work with emerging technology including drones, Internet of Things, coding, and 3d Printing is available to the right candidate. Field activities may include installation/removal of water quality sampling instruments, soil moisture sensors and precipitation/irrigation gauges, soil sampling, and plant growth measurement. All field work will be completed in Colorado, primarily on the front range. In addition, the student may assist with some basic farming operations, work with extension educational materials, conduct literature reviews and help with outreach activities, writing and other project needs. The student will have the opportunity to gain work experience conducting research in irrigated agriculture and water quality as well as Extension practices.
· Hard working and ambitious
· Understanding of the scientific method
· Curiosity and willingness to learn about water quality monitoring
· Basic scientific courses completed - ideally soil, water and/or ecosystem sciences
· Ability to work independently and with a team
· Excellent communication skills
· Attention to detail
· Ability and willingness to perform physical labor related to field research and laboratory activities
· Valid driver’s license
· Available for work during summer 2021
· Experience working in lab environment with some research experience
· Interest and experience in agricultural and environmental sciences, but all majors
encouraged to apply
· Experience with environmental sensors, data entry, Excel spreadsheets, webpage
maintenance and video editing.
· Interest in flying drones and attaining a drone pilot license.
Start Date: ASAP
Pay Rate: Actual hourly rate based on experience
Student Benefits: Employee Benefit information can be found on HR’s Website.
Contact: to apply email a brief cover letter and one page resume in the same pdf document to Christina Welch – firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: Position open until filled