Job Title: Lifeguard
(Campus Rec Worker, Step 3)
Hourly Pay Rate: $12.79
The Lifeguard is responsible for monitoring patrons and maintaining surveillance of the pool areas, assisting with the daily operation of the Student Recreation Center pool, and providing exceptional customer service. Lifeguards are also responsible for patron supervision at the South College and Moby pools during Campus Recreation programs.
Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action.
Colorado State University is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final candidates being considered for employment. Background checks may include, but are not limited to, criminal history, national sex offender search and motor vehicle history.
Benefits Information: Employee Benefits information can be found on HR’s Website.
Number of positions available: 25
Start date: 4/26/21
Qualifications / Certifications
- Current certifications in American Red Cross Lifeguarding
- Ability to assess emergency situations and act within the scope of the responsibilities according to the University and American Red Cross protocol
- Consistently demonstrate leadership and organizational skills, as well as effective oral and written communication skills
- Must be comfortable addressing fellow employees as well as patrons about policy and customer service issues
- Thorough understanding of department policies, procedures, and processes
- Consistently uphold all Campus Recreation department policies and procedures for patron and employee management related to the position; critical thinking, problem solving within limits of department policy and procedures, judgment to identify and apply existing guidelines, training, enforcement, and communication for employees.
- Provide a safe and clean environment for patrons that is free of hazards.
- Uphold service ethic, professional appearance standards, and Emergency Action Plan response
- Be alert to disorders, injuries, and inappropriate behavior and deal with as trained or report to supervisor accordingly
- Perform duties related to patron safety including taking control of emergency situations, assisting with emergencies when acting as the down guard, and maintaining personal fitness levels that assure proper performance of skills during a rescue or audit
- Consistently enforce all departmental policies and procedures
- Perform regular water quality tests and report any issues to the Recreation Supervisor
- Attend all monthly Aquatics in-services and other staff trainings
- Perform only safe techniques
- Inform the Aquatics Coordinator of any pool operations-related issues or concerns
- Assist the Recreation Supervisors in any tasks that they may need help with
- Effectively multitask so that all assigned tasks are completed by the end of the shift
- Successfully carry out any and all secondary responsibilities that are assigned by the Aquatics Coordinator
- Complete hands-on and online training for blood borne pathogens on a yearly basis (or as procedures change)
- Other duties as assigned