Facilities & Material Handling Project Engineering Co-op (Fall)
Facilities and Material Handling Project Engineering department manages building construction and material handling (conveyor) installation for stations and hubs within our US and Canada network.
Co-ops duties depend on their abilities and type of work required/available at the time, but their projects tend revolve around:
· finishing projects from other project engineers or co-ops from prior rotations
· managing small projects <$300K
· performing analysis in new project management software being rolled out
· developing new estimation methodologies based on scopes of work or validation of costs from contractors based on the scope of work
· providing better ways of filtering information and overall simplifying our processes to improve efficiency
· supporting other project engineers with details that take a lot of time to research or complete.
The successful candidate will be someone who is a self-starter, a confident communicator, is comfortable problem solving and applying critical thinking to solve problems. Working as a team, in an open work environment are all things the successful candidate will need to be comfortable with in this position. In essence, the more you put into the position, the more you will get out of it.
Performs activities related to his/her field of study while obtaining experience working in a corporate environment. Participates in various networking and/or community service events.
In some intern/co-op opportunities, the following may apply:
Performs various activities related to functional area projects including, but not limited to, researching, evaluating, and testing; planning and executing small projects; and conducting research and testing as a part of larger project teams. Develops processes and programs to support the functional area.
• Supports and plans work on small projects with direction from management.
• Assists management and other department personnel to support larger projects (e.g., managing project schedule and status reporting).
• May assume the duties normally performed in the department, alongside professionals who perform these roles.
• Works with various departments and/or vendors to gather information needed for various projects.
• Presents project results to management and/or department personnel.
• Performs analytical work within the assigned functional area.
• Conducts research using the internet and other sources of information.
• Creates or updates systems or databases for specific department needs.
• One (1) year of education at an accredited college, university or technical school (must be currently enrolled).
• None required.
Required Skills, Abilities and / or Licensure
• Software skills, including use of Microsoft Office software and web-based applications.
• Knowledge of AutoCAD software may be required for some positions.
• Verbal and written communication skills necessary to communicate with all levels of management.
• Time management, organizational and multi-tasking skills necessary to work in a fast-paced environment, handling various tasks and changing priorities, while maintaining a high attention to detail and accuracy to achieve daily assignments and goals.
• Ability to analyze, review, and make recommendations.
FedEx Ground is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer (Minorities/Females/Disability/Veterans) committed to a diverse workforce