Analyst - Industrial Hygiene
Gryphon Scientific is a 50-person research organization with a unique focus on physical and life sciences, public health, and emergency management. Our aim is to improve the health and safety of populations world-wide. Our projects drive policy changes in security, preparedness, and science policy at the highest levels of the US government. Abroad, we engage with international stakeholders to strengthen the capabilities of developing countries to address public health and security challenges. The energy of our small business environment, as well as our commitment to technical excellence and advanced analytic approaches, attract staff with the highest qualifications. Gryphon strongly encourages collaboration throughout the company, between junior and senior staff and across disciplines. Personal and professional development are actively supported. Gryphon boasts a laid-back workplace, a comprehensive employee benefit package, and places an emphasis on work-life balance, which has resulted in excellent employee retention. We are growing and looking for new staff members to join the Gryphon team.
Gryphon Scientific is actively hiring recent graduates with a bachelor’s degree and three years’ experience or Master’s degree in industrial hygiene, chemistry, toxicology, or related field for an Industrial Hygiene (IH) position. Gryphon Scientific offers IHs the opportunity to use critical thinking, creative problem solving, and analysis to tackle challenging projects. Gryphon IHs work on a wide range of exciting projects related to chemical, radiological, or nuclear issues. Most projects require analysis of publications with the goal of extracting and summarizing relevant information, developing a model or analyzing data, and using the results to make recommendations to the Federal government. IHs will be challenged to solve complex problems and think creatively to find solutions to previously unsolved issues. Example projects have included multi-year projects aimed at optimizing the public health response to a nuclear detonation, examining health effects from evacuations following major disasters, and developing a methodology for chemical detection of ‘unknown unknowns’ for emergency responders to support epidemiological research. Each project will challenge you to think, research, and write in new ways. You will not, however, be involved in laboratory work; there is no lab on the premises. The IH position will work out of our Takoma Park, MD, headquarters.
- Reviewing published academic, governmental, or other literature to extract and summarize relevant information.
- Use quantitative and qualitative skills to analyze data
- Develop mathematical models of various physical or biological phenomena
- Present findings to clients and other stakeholders
- Write comprehensive reports and provide data-driven recommendations
- Manage 1-2 more junior staff during data collection efforts
- Providing subject matter expertise in your specific areas of experience
- Master’s degree or bachelor’s degree and minimum of three years’ experience in Industrial Hygiene, Chemistry, Toxicology, or related field.
- Have a GPA greater than 3.0 (out of 4.0) in your major
- Proven ability to think creatively and operate with reasonable independence on assigned tasks
- Have an interest in homeland security issues, effect of nuclear or chemical weapons, and planning or preparedness for chemical, radiological, or nuclear events (but not necessarily experience)
- U.S. Citizen
- Creating problem solving and a love of tackling complex issues and hard problems.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of programs.
- Proficiency in research methods and data organization.
- Excellent writing, communication, and organizational skills.
- Experience in one or more programming language (C/C++/C#, Python, Java, FORTRAN, R, MATLAB, etc.) strongly preferred but not essential.
- An active security clearance or ability to obtain such is preferred but not essential.
- Willingness to re-locate to the greater Washington, DC area required.
- Gryphon’s 2021 benefits package includes fully paid health, vision and dental insurance to all full-time employees choosing individual coverage, 25 paid days off (holidays and other leave) to new employees, matching 401k contributions made into the company plan up to 3% of salary, professional development funding, tuition reimbursement, transportation subsidies, funds to help pay for wellness costs (like the gym) and more.
- Gryphon employees who choose to pursue post-graduate education have been very successful. Gryphon alumni have gone on to receive full scholarships at prestigious medical schools (including Vanderbilt and University of Chicago Pritzker), and enroll in competitive PhD programs (UC Berkley) and MPH programs (Harvard and Johns Hopkins).
- Health Physicists have the opportunity for significant advancement at Gryphon Scientific. With no advanced degree requirements for senior positions, a job with Gryphon can be the start to a rewarding career in scientific consulting.
- You will learn how to read scientific articles and apply the information you’ve learned, an essential skill in post-graduate programs