Lab Assistant I (Human Genetics) Dong Lab
Sanford Burnham Prebys is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
A Lab Assistant I position is available in the Dong Lab. This is part-time position with a work schedule of up to 10 hours per week.
The objective of the Dr. Dong's Laboratory is to uncover fundamental insight into basic and biomedical science through rigorous investigation of the genetic mechanisms governing organogenesis and diseases. We have discovered multiple genes critical for generating liver and pancreas cells and have created novel animal models for diseases such as diabetes and Alagille Syndrome. These unique experimental models have been yielded mechanistic insight and potential new therapeutic avenues.
Under specific direction, this position will perform routine repetitive laboratory tasks and Zebrafish maintenance duties.
- Assist with perform Zebrafish maintenance duties, such as feeding, cleaning, and genotyping
- Assist with all aspects of laboratory projects using standard laboratory techniques under supervision
- Assist with autoclaving, media/buffer preparations, stocking and maintenance of inventory/supplies, and other related duties and tasks, as required
- High School diploma or equivalent required
- Knowledge or experience in a scientific research laboratory is desired
Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities
- Willingness and ability to work with zebrafish, biohazardous material and/or potential carcinogens
- Work independently as well as in a team environment
- Be responsible, organized, and possess strong attention to detail
- Possess strong time management and organizational skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Professional proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Embody the Institute’s core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion
The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children's disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.