Solutions Architect - IT Configuration Management (Early/Mid-Career)
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
What Your Job Will Be Like
We have an opening for a motivated Configuration Management Solutions Architect. The selected candidate will serve as a primary architect for information systems solutions, requiring knowledge of and experience with information systems domains such as information assurance, hardware, software, database, networking, systems security and telecommunication. This position will support configuration management services for all of Sandia corporately supported networks.
On any given day, you may be called upon to:
- Develop and deploy automation capabilities for reliable and consistent system configurations and application deployments.
- Unify and automate processes involving multiple Sandia teams (developers, cyber security, system administrators, network engineers, and application owners)
- Monitor and maintain existing deployments in a scalable and automated fashion.
To manage our mission essential computing environment, it will be critical for the successful candidate to develop collaborative, close working relationships with team members, customer groups, and other teams in Centers 9300 and 9700.
Qualifications We Require
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems or relevant field; or
- higher degree (MS, PhD) in relevant field; or
- or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience with programming or scripting language such as Bash, Python, Ruby or Perl
- Experience with container platforms, orchestration and development (such as Docker)
- Experience in writing and maintaining Ansible Playbooks for automation/management/orchestration
- Understanding of version control (such as GitHub, GitLab)
- Ability to manage large numbers of server systems (50-100+, either cloud, virtualized, bare metal, or a combination thereof)
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q level security clearance
Qualifications We Desire
- 3-5 years of demonstrated experience administering Linux / Unix operating systems.
- Experience with virtualization technologies
- Experience in developing automated pipelines initiated from source control commits
- Experience in Gitlab CI or Jenkins
- Experience with network switch management and configuration
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Strong verbal, written, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Demonstrated experience in effectively prioritizing and executing tasks in a fluid environment
- Ability to develop and nurture effective relationships internal and external to the organization
About Our Team
Our department provides and advances modern Enterprise IT Services for Configuration Management, Linux systems, Cyber systems, and Secure Infrastructure. We are charged with designing, operating, and enforcing systems engineering processes to ensure and maintain consistencies with end-point performance, function, and compliance throughout its lifecycle on all Corporately Supported Networks. Configuration includes governance to Master Security Plans, Corporate Policy, and Security Technical Implementation Guidelines (STIGs). This organization implements and uses change management processes to systematically apply these configurations, providing a consistent user experience for IT service delivery. The department focuses on getting work done via automated frameworks, reaching a consistent desired state, and reducing IT complexity and heterogeneity through repeatable processes.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
• Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
• Extraordinary co-workers
• Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
• Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
• Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
• Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.