Animal Care Intern
POSITION TITLE: Animal Care Specialist Intern
DEPARTMENT: Animal Care and Conservation
REPORTS TO: Animal Care and Conservation Intern Mentor
As part of OdySea Aquarium’s Animal Care: Aquarist Internship program, interns will rotate throughout the aquarium’s four galleries and quarantine facility during their internship. Interns will work alongside OdySea Aquarium Aquarists in a supportive and supervised role with the opportunity to work with a large collection of elasmobranchs (sharks and rays), freshwater and marine fishes, invertebrates, and a select number of freshwater and marine reptiles, including green sea turtles and loggerhead turtles. Interns will be instrumental in daily operations including husbandry and cleaning, diet preparation, public speaking and guest education. This internship requires 40 hours (four 10-hour days) per week for 16 weeks.
MAJOR AREAS OF FOCUS:
- Participate in all aspect of daily care for the assigned collection of fishes, invertebrates and reptiles.
- Assist in maintaining the highest standards of exhibit cleanliness and aesthetics
- Assist in the daily preparation and dispersion of animal diets
- Assist in the daily required cleaning and maintenance of assigned aquatic exhibits and back of house areas
- Represent aquarium through positive guest interactions and experiences daily.
- Participate in regular formal and informal public education presentations on a variety of aquatic topics
- Follow all department Standard Operating Guidelines.
- Participate in a cooperative working environment that promotes a culture of teamwork, positivity, inclusion, and growth
- Participate in applicable research and conservation activities
- Learn and follow accurate and appropriate record keeping protocols as they are maintained within the department.
- Build knowledge of industry innovations and progressive animal care through provided reading materials and roundtable discussions
- Attend weekly discussions and regular seminars on a variety of educational and instructive topics
- Complete weekly topic-specific worksheets
- Complete a research- or experiment-based project throughout the course of the internship
- Give a 10-15-minute oral presentation with visual aids to peers and team members on a chosen project topic at the culmination of the program
- Perform all other duties as assigned by supervisors or Director
- Applicants must be current college students or recent graduate
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Must be able to access animal pools, exhibits, and enclosures
- Must be able to complete and pass a background check and drug screen
- In order to receive college credit, students must coordinate with their academic institution and OdySea Aquarium in sufficient time to make appropriate arrangements
- Exemplify core fundamentals of the Employee Promise, which states:
- I am empowered to take ownership of any opportunity to exceed expectations.
- I anticipate guest needs and pay attention to the details.
- I treat all internal and external customers with respect.
- I am on stage! (Smile)
- I have an attitude of gratitude.
- I get it right the first time.
- I display actions that are moral and ethical.
- I always provide alternative solutions.
- I am committed to learning every aspect of our product and services.
- I use the 10/5 rule, 10 feet I acknowledge my guest’s presence with a smile and at 5 feet. I greet them with a courteous word.
- I use name recognition at every opportunity
- I take personal responsibility for our surroundings.
- I am accountable for my tools and resources.
- I value the contribution of every team member.
Please send visit OdySea Aquarium’s website to apply by clicking on the green Apply Externally button.
To be considered for the Fall 2021 Semester - all applications must be completed by July 20th