Special Education Teacher (SY22, Springfield)
What You’ll Do
As a Special Education Teacher at Veritas Prep, you’ll provide special education services and accommodations to one grade level of students, including in-class and small-group support. You’ll collaborate with teachers and staff to ensure students with special education needs can access grade-level curriculum. You’ll also work as part of our Student Support Team, led by our Dean of Student Services, which includes school counselors, related service providers, school culture staff, and other Special Education Teachers to build a strong community, where students of all identities feel safe, seen, included, and able to reach their lofty goals.
You will also:
- Develop and track student progress toward IEP goals with fidelity
- Serve as liaison for caseload of students
- Study and internalize subject area content and curriculum and prepare for daily instruction by completing daily lesson preparation, including appropriate accommodations, for students on your caseload
- Develop modified curriculum that is aligned to grade-level standards
- Deliver rigorous, standards-based lessons and assessments to small groups using key instructional strategies
- Integrate social emotional program and skills into both formal and informal teaching moments with students
- Plan and lead data-driven small group and individual tutoring sessions daily with students
- Participate actively in weekly student support meetings and content level planning meetings
- Participate in weekly or bi-weekly coaching meetings, incorporating feedback into daily teaching and planning practices
- Build positive, meaningful relationships with colleagues, students, parents, and families
- Engage in learning about racism, diversity, equity, and inclusion in education
What You’ll Need (Qualifications)
- An unwavering belief that all students can achieve amazing things
- A passion for continuous growth as an educator
- A dedication to fighting racism in our educational institutions and in daily life and knowledge of the history of race and racism, as well as the systems of oppression our students face
- One to two years of teaching experience (preferred)
- Bachelor’s degree
- Have or be eligible for a MA teaching license in Moderate Disabilities (5-12), including SEI endorsement
- Current authorization to work in the United States – a candidate must have such authorization by his or her first day of employment
Wondering if you should apply? Are you passionate about giving every child access to an education that will prepare them for wherever life takes them? Have you been thinking about a career change? Do you have experience working with children? Are you a life-long learner who thrives on feedback? If you answered yes, you should apply!
Think you don’t quite meet all the qualifications listed above? Apply anyway! We are looking for a truly diverse team of educators, and research shows that historically marginalized groups are less likely to apply if they don’t meet every requirement. We are working to become an anti-racist organization and want to recruit and support a diverse staff, to understand the history of inequity in education, and to ensure students see teachers, staff, and leaders who look like them working in their schools.
Still not sure? Set up a call with a recruiter by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Veritas Prep is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employees or qualified job applicants on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran or military status, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or any other status or condition protected by applicable law. This policy extends to, but is not limited to, recruitment, selection, compensation, benefits, promotion, training, and termination.
About Veritas Prep
Veritas Prep Charter School (VPCS) was founded in Springfield in 2012 with the mission to prepare students in grades 5-8 to compete, achieve, and succeed in high school, college, and beyond. VPCS now serves more than 370 Springfield students and is one of Massachusetts’ top-performing middle schools. Building on the success of VPCS, Friends of Veritas Prep partnered with the Holyoke Public Schools, launching Veritas Prep Holyoke (VPH) in 2018 as part of Holyoke’s innovative turnaround efforts. VPH is a neighborhood enrollment school currently serving grades 5, 6, and 7 and growing one grade per year through grade 8.
We are excited to develop a high school for our Springfield scholars which is tentatively scheduled to launch in the fall of 2022 with 100 students in Grade 9, and ultimately, serving roughly 350 students in grades 9-12.
Veritas Prep schools provide a college prep curriculum in a safe, positive, and rigorous learning environment that allows students to thrive both academically and socially. Our educators believe in expecting the best from every student and in the power of building strong relationships with students and families, creating a community that supports the achievement of all. To learn more about Veritas Prep and the close-knit academic community of teachers and scholars in Springfield and Holyoke, check out this video and visit veritasprepma.org.