Student Research Assistant
About the Organization:
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies is a 501-c(3) non-profit headquartered at the Environmental Learning Center at Barr Lake State Park with a satellite office in Fort Collins and fieldwork outposts in the Great Plains Region. Bird Conservancy of the Rockies conserves birds and their habitats through an integrated approach of Science, Education, and Stewardship. Our work radiates from the Rockies to the Great Plains, Mexico and beyond.
The Research Assistant will work directly with Bird Conservancy Biologists and Ecologists to accomplish all aspects of Bird Conservancy's large-scale breeding bird monitoring programs and other programs within the Science team.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with data entry and management
- Assist with field season preparation, including inventory and maintenance of field equipment
- Creation of simple maps and reports
- Landowner outreach
- Assist with planning of training and field operations
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience required (unless otherwise noted):
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong work ethic
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products
- Knowledge of birds and their habitats preferred
- Pursuing a degree in wildlife or environmental sciences preferred
- Familiarity with ESRI and RStudio preferred
Physical Demands / Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Ability to work in a standard office setting, with considerable sitting, standing and viewing of computer screens
· Requires reaching continually throughout the workday (mouse, keyboard, telephone)
· May include lifting up to thirty (30) pounds of project gear on an infrequent basis- proper lifting techniques required
· Able to stand, walk, and hike for extended periods of time outside in all weather
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Please submit your cover letter, resume and contacts for three references in ONE document to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Research Assistant – Work Study” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.