GapTech Software Engineering Summer Internship Program
About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
About The Role
The GapTech Engineering Intern Program is looking for curious and innovative Entry Level Software Engineers to help code and develop best-in-class retail technology for our brands, employees, and customers around the globe. It is our mission to develop participants to grow into high-performing full-stack engineering leaders, who can fully embrace our DevSecOps model to drive engineering process, value and speed.
During the program, you will be assigned to meaningful projects that influence how Gap Inc. continues to impact the future of the retail industry. At Gap Inc., we are using technology as a competitive advantage to become the world’s #1 specialty apparel retailer. As part of GapTech, you will deliver globally scalable, cloud-based solutions, using agile software development, DevOps practices, and advanced technologies. The program is designed to give you exposure to all facets of our business & growth strategies.
This program is a full-time, paid 10 week commitment and consists of meaningful project within either Front End, Backend Or TechOp/Cloud Engineering teams. Our teams supports things such as mobile application development, store technology, cloud engineering, database, supply chain and more. Your summer experience will consist of real-life projects working with industry leaders, SCRUM teams, and your peers. In addition to the exciting projects, you will gain one-on-one mentoring from our top engineers, exposure to inspiring executive leaders, and experience with our systems and methods.
At the end of your program, you will have the opportunity to convert into the Full-time GapTech Engineering Rotational Program upon completion of your degree. Please only apply if you do not need sponsorship to work in the United States now or in the future. We are unable to consider candidates who require sponsorship.
Note: This internship program offers a remote work model – however the Full-time Rotational Program will require you to be in office, upon completion of your degree, at one of the following locations: San Francisco, CA; Columbus, OH; Atlanta, GA; and Dallas, TX.
What You'll Do
- Candidates selected for this internship program will be placed in one of three main areas below, which will include the following responsibilities:
- Front End Engineering
- Develop and maintain quality code using best-in-class DevOps practices focusing on the visual elements of a website, system, tool, or app that end-users (consumers or internal business partners) will interact with
- Collaborate with technical and product/design SCRUM team members to develop and maintain UX product features following Agile development principles
- Back End Engineering
- Develop and maintain quality code that ensures simplicity, reliability, scalability, and performance of our applications
- Collaborate with SCRUM team members to address server-side & database application logic and integration
- TechOps and Cloud Engineering
- Enable technology and innovation across all Gap Inc. channels & teams (stores, corporate, GapTech)
- Employ coding for platform, cloud engineering, site reliability engineering, network and service management, and automation
Who You Are
- Undergrad Juniors with Bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science or Information Systems Engineering graduating in Winter 2022 or Summer 2023
- Working knowledge of Data Structures preferred
- Passion and interest in developing full-stack engineering skillset preferred
- Demonstrated analytical skills, and knowledge + application of Engineering Principles preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills preferred
- Ability to collaborate with cross-functional partners of varying degrees of leadership preferred
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment preferred
- Pursuant to Gap Inc.’s policy, all employees who enter Gap Inc.’s San Francisco, (New York, and Albuquerque) office buildings after September 7, 2021 will need to be vaccinated, unless an exemption from the vaccine requirement due to an accommodation for a disability or for a sincerely held religious belief is approved.)
Notice to applicants in San Francisco: Gap Inc. and its related brands will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. The Fair Chance Ordinance is provided here: English Spanish Chinese Tagalog
Benefits At Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.