Student Researcher (VIIRS Imagery-Cal/Val Program Assistant)
The Cooperative Institute for Research in the Atmosphere (CIRA), located on the CSU Foothills Campus approximately 5 miles northwest of CSU main campus, seeks to fill one Student Hourly position to support research efforts in collaboration with the Regional and Mesoscale Meteorology Branch (RAMMB) of NOAA/NESDIS. The RAMMB is collocated with CIRA and conducts research on the use of satellite data to improve analysis, forecasts, and warnings for regions and mesoscale meteorological events.
- The individual in this position will report to CIRA’s Satellite Algorithm and Imagery Developer and aid CIRA/RAMMB with general satellite imagery analysis.
- Primary tasks will involve analysis of satellite imagery from an archive of blowing dust cases.
- This position will begin immediately and is expected to last approximately 100 hours with possible extension/continued analyses, depending upon the skill of the student and project needs.
Essential Job Duties:
- identify and record the start time and location of blowing dust plumes from an archive of satellite imagery (DP)
- create plots characterizing the temporal and spatial occurrence of blowing dust events found in the archive (DP, CT/PS)
- acquire, process and plot relevant satellite data for additional tasks (DP, CT/PS)
- knowledge of Microsoft Windows and accompanying Office programs;
- basic programming and plotting skills (e.g. Python, Matlab, or IDL);
- experience working with basic Linux operating systems.
Colorado State University may conduct background checks on final candidates.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion:
Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department's commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Employee benefit information can be found on HR’s Website at https://hr.colostate.edu/current-employees/benefits/
Hourly Pay Rate: $15/hour
Number of Openings: 1
Start Date: October 1, 2021
Information about career competencies can be found: https://career.colostate.edu/employer-resources/career-competencies/
Application Deadline and How to Apply:
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, to ensure full consideration applications should be submitted by 11:59 PM MT on Sunday, October 10, 2021. References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates. Apply electronically through Handshake.
NOTE: In your cover letter, please specifically address the required qualifications of this position. A cover letter that fails to address the required and preferred qualifications of this position may not be further considered after review by the search committee.