Post Doc Research Associate - Process Modeling and Analysis
The Advanced Energy Systems Group (AES) is focused on applied research and development in the areas of chemical conversions, applied advanced materials, and the development of novel processes. The AES group is currently seeking a Post-Doctorate in Process Modeling and Analysis to contribute to a broad base of research and development, including thermochemical and biochemical conversions of biomass to biofuels, advanced separations, and carbon capture. Process models, economic evaluations and sustainability assessments are developed and used to make recommendations to PNNL projects, industrial partners, and DOE. The performance and economic models range from unit operations to full systems (e.g. conceptual commercial-scale biorefinery flowsheets). Chemcad and Aspen Plus® are the primary flowsheet development tools used. Oral and written reporting of research results is expected with a focus toward publications in peer-reviewed journals and presenting at conferences. Additional responsibilities include the following:
- Frequent and effective interaction with PNNL staff to describe specific process and economic research goals.
- Supporting projects or tasks, with the responsibility for designing, conducting, and reporting analysis results.
- Preparing and presenting complex technical reports.
- Work independently, take initiative, and work on team projects.
This is a limited-term employment position with a two-year appointment and a possible extension to three years.
Candidates must have received a PhD within the past five years (60 months) or within the next 8 months from an accredited college or university.
- A strong fundamental theoretical understanding of kinetics, process design, heat and mass transfer, chemical separations, and thermodynamics.
- A strong process engineering background.
- Comprehensive experience with process flowsheet modeling for process development and/or system economics projections, preferably using Aspen Plus® and/or Chemcad.
- A demonstrated ability to effectively plan, perform, and communicate scientific research; with demonstrated ability to conduct original scientific research and publish results in peer-reviewed journals.
- The candidate must have completed a PhD within the past 60 months in Chemical Engineering, or related field, from an accredited college or university. A GPA of 3.50 or higher is preferred.
- Experience with life-cycle analyses (LCA) of chemicals, fuels, and/or renewable energy products is desired.
- Industrial experience is desirable but not required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via https://jobs.pnnl.gov/help.stm
Please be aware that the Department of Energy (DOE) prohibits DOE employees and contractors from having any affiliation with the foreign government of a country DOE has identified as a “country of risk” without explicit approval by DOE and Battelle. If you are offered a position at PNNL and currently have any affiliation with the government of one of these countries you will be required to disclose this information and recuse yourself of that affiliation or receive approval from DOE and Battelle prior to your first day of employment.
Job ID: 312717
Closing Date: 2021-09-28 at 11:59pm PST