Health Communications Specialist
This Direct-Hire position is in Food and Drug Administration (FDA), located in the Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH). CDRH assures that patients and providers have access to safe, effective, and high-quality medical devices and safe radiation-emitting products. CDRH facilitates medical devices innovation by advancing regulatory science, providing industry with consistent, transparent, and efficient regulatory pathways, and assuring consumer confidence in devices marketed in the U.S..
We invite you to listen as a CDRH employee talks about his passion for the work he does, the Agency's pioneering regulatory science culture and opportunities for professional growth, and why he loves working at FDA by clicking here.
HOW TO APPLY: Applicants must apply through the official USAJOBS Health Communications Specialist, job vacancy announcement.
GRADE / SALARY: General Schedule (GS) -13 / $122,530 to $159,286 per year
LOCATION: FDA’s White Oak Campus in Silver Spring, Maryland
MAJOR DUTIES: As a Health Communications Specialist you will:
- Develop, test, and disseminate a variety of clear and actionable public health communication, public health emergency and crisis communication, and educational materials for use in national outreach efforts to different target audiences.
- Develop, implement, and manage comprehensive communication plans and marketing strategies for internal and external audiences on highly complex, time-sensitive, controversial and sensitive issues while meeting established project milestones.
- Develop relationships and coordinate with other communication specialists, Agency colleagues, health officials, and community representatives to execute a variety of high-visibility communication strategies.
Applicants will be required to meet the specific qualification requirements of the Health Communications Specialist, 1001 occupational series.
Specialized experience is experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. Qualified candidates must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 in the federal service that includes experience:
- Drafting, editing, and clearing health communication documents, media relations materials and/or web content that are tailored to specific audience segments;
- Developing, implementing and evaluating high-quality short- and long-term communication and marketing plans and strategies designed to inform the public and other audiences about public health programs and/or communications for public health emergencies; and
- Conducting and implementing target audience research and message testing into communication strategies and products.
Please see the official job vacancy announcement for: additional information; additional specialized experience, education and qualification requirements.
The Department of Health and Human Services is an equal opportunity employer with a smoke free environment.
FDA is an equal opportunity employer.