Editorial Production Coordinator
Effective October 11, 2021, all current and newly hired IDA employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have been granted a medical or religious exemption. Individuals who accept employment with IDA will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated or receive approval for a medical or religious accommodation prior to starting employment.
Who We Are:
The Institute for Defense Analyses (IDA) is a private, nonprofit corporation headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia, just outside Washington, DC. IDA’s mission is to answer the most challenging U.S. security and science policy questions with objective analysis leveraging extraordinary scientific, technical, and analytic expertise. IDA operates three Federally Funded Research and Development Centers (FFRDC’s).
Why Work for IDA?
We’re looking for an outstanding Editorial Production Coordinator to join our Corporate Communications team.
This is an exciting opportunity for a strong storyteller who is passionate in what they do, has proven capabilities in proofreading, project management and comfortable multitasking. Responsibilities include: drafting, copyediting and proofreading content for staff newsletters, internal and external websites, news releases, research summaries, digital magazines and videos/podcasts; coordinating production activities using content management system (Sitecore) and publication database (IDA Publication System); and assisting with other communications projects as assigned.
Assists Creative Services Supervisor, Corporate Writer/Editor, Content Analyst/Technical Writer and Communications Specialist with workflow, production, scheduling, and review of Corporate Communications announcements, products, posts, and releases.
- Collaborates with graphic artists, photographers, multimedia specialists and others in Corporate Communications to produce content.
- Creates text for websites, newsletters, handouts, video productions, research publications and corporate memoranda.
- Ensures text is engaging, well-organized and comprehensible for both expert and non-specialist audiences.
- Copy edits web content, newsletter articles, handouts, video scripts, and other text for style, format, organization, grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, parallel construction and consistency.
- Proofreads research summaries, digital magazines, corporate memoranda and other content.
- Consults with IDA internal clients to better understand written communication requirements.
- Builds and distributes weekly internal newsletter using Sitecore, a content management system.
- Enters data into IDA’s Publication System and prepares administrative forms and memos necessary for approval of formal Corporate Communications publications.
- Consults IDA’s Publication System to verify permissions for promoting publications on IDA’s website and in social media posts.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
What Will You Need?
- To be considered for this position, you must be a creative problem-solver, have strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to multitask between operational support and project-based work.
- BA/BS in English, Journalism, Communications, or related discipline.
- Two or more years of experience as a writer, editor or production assistant with related experience in media production.
- Proficiency with the “Associated Press (AP) Stylebook” and “The Chicago Manual of Style.”
- Demonstrated expertise with Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, editorial discernment and ability to interact with all levels of personnel.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented.
- Experience with content management systems and databases preferred.
- Ability to obtain and maintain required security clearances.
- Successful completion of a criminal background check is required.
U.S. Citizenship is required
Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance is required
IDA is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a fair recruiting process and working environment free from discrimination. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. Click here to learn more about IDA's commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.