Graphic Design Summer Intern
Graphic Design Intern
Delaware State Parks Creative Team is seeking a dynamic and engaging person to join us! We are searching for a dedicated candidate to fill a 12-week minimum time commitment (with the possibility of extending) during winter/spring, summer or fall. This is a flexible, part-time, 10-15 hour minimum a week position that will work both on site and remotely. This person will serve as a Graphic Design intern and work with the Creative/Marketing team. Under the supervision of an experienced graphic designer, the intern will complete graphic design projects that are requested by the Marketing and Creative team and Delaware State Parks staff.
· Applicants must be a Junior or Senior working toward/already have a degree in Graphic Design, Advertising Design, Visual Communications, or related field or have relevant experience.
· Ability to use general computer programs such as Microsoft Word and Publisher, as well as graphic design programs including Photoshop, InDesign, and Adobe Illustrator.
· Access to Adobe Creative Cloud will be provided only for the duration of the internship.
· Applicant will be working mainly in office but will have some opportunity for remote work.
· Desire to work in graphic design, communications, advertising, or relevant industry that incorporates these skills.
· Printing experience with laser/inkjet printers.
· Eager to learn and expand technical, design, and collaboration skills.
· Ability to foster good client relations, meet deadlines, to work quickly and well under pressure.
· Ability to produce design projects that are aesthetically pleasing and that meet the client’s needs and goals.
• At least 17 years old with valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
• Must be fluent in the English language (verbal and written communication)
• Overall GPA must be 2.5 or higher
• Good organizational skills
• Able and willing to read and follow verbal and written work instructions and work independently
• Willing to assist with administrative, customer relations, and housekeeping tasks
• Able to commit to upholding the Divisions safety and personnel policies, and support the overall mission
• Able to professionally represent the Division in all interactions with visitors, staff, and other members of the community
Intern will design and produce marketing, informational and regulatory projects requested by Delaware State Parks staff. These may include but are not limited to printed brochures, flyers, newsletters, posters, banners, rack cards, forms, trade show displays, program guides, postcards, booklets, manuals, magazine and newspaper ads, digital graphics/ads, outdoor signs, ID cards, passes, pins, giveaways and/or decals.
Projects will be reviewed and critiqued by the Creative Services Team and the Chief of Marketing and Creative Services before presentation to the in-house client. Intern will produce final products either in-house on a color printer or wide-format ink-jet printer, as PDFs or web-ready images, or will follow the steps involved in sending a print job out to the state’s Printing and Publishing Office for printing by a local print shop.
· Training: A hallmark of the program, interns receive training from the field experts they will be working with. In addition to this formal and informal training to successfully conduct their internship assignment, interns will have the opportunity to build associated skills and share real- time experience with park staff and colleagues. Training will be made available to the interns to further their personal and professional development. Additionally, the position will develop critical skills for those interested in a career in Graphic Design, to include Marketing and Advertising Design, Print and Publication Design, and Creative Direction. Opportunities for school credit available.
· Housing: Availability at Killen’s Pond State Park
· Compensation: A small stipend is provided.
· Activities: Interns will have the opportunity not only to visit ALL Delaware State Parks at no fee, but also participate in many of the tours, programs, and associated events for free. Delaware State Parks span the length of the state and whether it be canoeing at Trap Pond State Park, surfing at Delaware Seashore State Park, attending a concert at Bellevue State Park, or touring the living history facility at Fort Delaware, there is certainly something for everyone.
All Delaware State Parks Interns are required to undergo and successfully complete a background check performed by the Division.