Heritage Volunteer Program RA
Minimum 960 hours/ 52 weeks; 20 hours week.
Cibola National Forest/USDA Forest ServiceLiving Allowance:
TBD, preferred May/early June 2022
Application Due Date:
Reviewed on a rolling basis.Title of Position
Heritage Volunteer Program Resource Assistant
Stewards Individual Placement Program (Stewards) provides individuals with service and career opportunities to strengthen communities and preserve our natural resources. Participants work with federal agencies, tribal governments, and nonprofits building institutional capacity, developing community relationships, and supporting ecosystem health.
Stewards in partnership with the Cibola National Forest are recruiting for a Heritage Volunteer Program Resource Assistant. This position will work jointly with the heritage and volunteer program staff on the Cibola National Forest to improve heritage volunteer program capacity and reporting. One of the primary partner organizations that they will be working with is the Friends of Tijeras Pueblo. The Friends of Tijeras Pueblo is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization dedicated to the interpretation of the Tijeras Pueblo Archaeological Site. It is operated in partnership with the USDA Forest Service and run by a volunteer Board of Directors. The Friends of Tijeras Pueblo is dedicated to the preservation of Tijeras Pueblo Archaeological Site through protection, promotion and interpretation.
Position Responsibilities will include:
- Provide general support to the Cibola heritage program, with an emphasis on building capacity in the volunteer program and the increasing the viability/stability of existing partnerships.
- Work with heritage program to learn basic archaeological field methods and reporting.
- Work collaboratively with Friends of Tijeras Pueblo, Friends of Sandia Mountain, and NM SiteWatch to provide resources to support the Ancestral Lands Crew and the heritage volunteer program.
- Work with Cibola Recreation Partnership Coordinator on utilizing the Cibola’s volunteer management platform and reporting on heritage volunteer hours.
- Coordinate and plan for school group tours with an Emphasis on 4th graders and the Every Kid Outdoors Program.
- Provide in depth heritage/archeology environmental education programs
- Coordinate with U.S. Forest Service staff to receive Every Kid in a Park passes.
- Distribute Every Kid in a Park passes to 4th graders engaged in programs. RA will be responsible for tracking passes that they receive and reporting them to the Project Manager in accordance with the AD107 transfer of property provisions.
- Provide interpretative programming to tour groups in collaboration with the Friends of Tijeras Pueblo volunteer curator.
- Assist with Tijeras Pueblo 5 day summer camp.
The ideal candidate for this position is a highly organized individual who has the ability to direct and coordinate people from a variety of backgrounds. The ideal candidate will have networking skills, familiarity with basic computer programs and technology, data management skills (or the ability to learn them).
An individual with experience managing a museum and/or archaeological or historical site is preferred. A background in education and/or experience developing programs to engage both children and adults in educational activities is also preferred. Familiarity with the grant writing process and experience with funding a 501(c)3 organization is beneficial. Finally, familiarity with the use of a variety of social media platforms for marketing purposes is desired.
The Forest Service recognizes that candidates may not possess all or many of the desired qualifications for this position, however, an individual who is enthusiastic, motivated, and demonstrates a willingness to challenge themselves by learning those skills in which they may be lacking at the time of hire will be welcomed.
- $1000/month housing allowance (pre-tax)
- $50/monthly commuting reimbursment. (pre-tax)
- $2750.00 Professional Development and Training fund.
- Health care
- Direct Hire Authority and Noncompetitive Hiring Authority eligibility upon successful program completion.
- Position related training
How to Apply
Apply on-line at: https://stewardslegacy.org/open-positions. In addition to your resume, please submit a one page cover letter highlighting why you are interested in this position and how your background and experience will help you succeed in this position.
Stewards Individual Placements Program does not and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all.