Metabolomics Student Assistant
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab (Berkeley Lab) has an opening for a Student Assistant in the metabolomics research group located at the Integrative Genomics Building in Berkeley, CA. This research group focuses on understanding microbial community metabolomics using mass spectrometry-based techniques. In this exciting role, you will be responsible for providing support work to postdocs, graduate students, and staff within the lab. This is a great opportunity for learning and improving laboratory skills for individuals interested in research or related fields.
What You Will Do:
- Assist lab members with tasks such as making culture media, extracting samples, preparing metabolite standards.
- Help culture and maintain stocks of bacteria/plants/fungi isolates and consortia.
- Perform molecular biology lab work, such as plasmid extraction, bacterial transformation, bacterial growth assays, etc.
- Perform supportive tasks (cleaning/baking glassware, autoclaving media, refilling supplies, etc.).
- Maintain lab notebook, sample, instrument, and waste logs.
- Follow EH&S guidelines to ensure the safety of oneself and others in the lab and office spaces.
What is Required:
- Motivated individual enrolled in an undergraduate degree program in biology, microbiology, biochemistry, or related fields.
- Detail-oriented with excellent communication, writing and troubleshooting skills.
- Proficiency with basic office software (Google docs, Excel, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Excellent grades in the sciences.
- Microbiology, chemistry and/or molecular biology experience/knowledge from class or lab experience.
Want to learn more about Berkeley Lab's Culture, Benefits and answers to FAQs? Please visit: https://recruiting.lbl.gov/
- This is a part-time, up to 20 hours per week, 3 months, student assistant appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs.
- Salary will be predetermined based on student step rates.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof that vaccination requirements have been met or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab's mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4.