Academic Village - Tutor, 2023-2024
WALTER SCOTT, JR. COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING TUTOR: JOB DESCRIPTION
(We are only looking for Chemical and Biological Engineering, Civil/Environmental, and Mechanical Engineering Tutors at this time)
The Walter Scott, Jr. College of Engineering (WSCOE) is currently looking for qualified Engineering tutors for the 2023-2024 academic year. To apply for a tutoring position within the WSCOE, students must meet the following qualifications:
· Currently admitted as a full-time undergraduate student in the WSCOE;
· Have successfully completed the courses for which tutoring services are being provided with a grade of an "A" or "B";
· Demonstrate knowledge and competence in the subject matter;
· Have previous formal or informal tutoring experience and enjoy tutoring the subject for which services are being requested;
· Ability to effectively explain concepts to others;
· Ability to effectively communicate study strategies to others to assist in their academic success;
· Work comfortably with people from diverse backgrounds;
· Demonstrate patience and a positive attitude in establishing an encouraging and supportive learning environment.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Providing individual and small group tutoring to WSCOE students utilizing active and collaborative learning strategies;
· Offering assistance to students in their acquisition of new study skills;
· Attend and participate in monthly staff meetings;
· Maintain awareness of CSU and WSCOE resources and actively refer students to those resources as necessary;
· Working in Academic Village 1-4 shifts per month, 3 hours each, depending on the position;
· Maintain professional contact and communication with supervisor, tutoring peers, and CSU faculty/staff;
· Participate in tutor training before the beginning of the Fall semester and other professional development trainings as required.
Two tutors will be hired from each of the following Engineering major categories and will be set to tutor on specific nights from 7-10pm:
Sunday: Chemical and Biological Engineering (CBE 101/160|LIFE 102)
Monday: Civil and Environmental Engineering (CIVE 102/103/260/261/360)
Tuesday: Biomedical Engineering (BMS 300|BZ 220|LIFE 102/210|BIOM100/200)
Wednesday: Computer and Electrical Engineering (ECE 102/103/251|CS 152/162/163/164)
Thursday: Mechanical Engineering (MECH 103-342|CIVE 260/261/360)
All tutors will be tutoring for math, physics, and chemistry in conjunction with the class list above.
Please note that only Engineering majors should apply for these positions due to the specific nature of the courses for which tutoring is being requested.
Starting pay rate for this position is $15.00 per hour.
Students interested in applying for a tutoring position should submit a resume and cover letter on Handshake or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org