2023 Internship - AI/ML/Data Science & Engineering
Are you searching for a place to build upon and expand your academic experience?
Are you searching for a meaningful internship experience with an employer that prioritizes impact, innovation, and personal development in a driven intellectual environment?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL!
We are seeking interns to help us tackle the complex research, engineering, and analytical problems that present critical challenges to our nation. Our group is currently making critical contributions in the fight against online misinformation, developing the first truly autonomous UAV, and in the public health response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Our Covid 19 work has been recognized by Time Magazine as one of the "Best Inventions of 2020" and our team was named Fast Company's 2021 Innovative Team of the Year. To address these emerging national challenges, we develop software systems that enable the application of data science and artificial intelligence (AI) to a variety of domains, such as cyber operations, healthcare, social media analysis, and signal and video exploitation.
As a member of our team you will…
- Work with dedicated team members charged with developing and delivering solutions that support national priorities
- Work within a team environment and apply your skills to projects and tasks in areas such as Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Data Science, Cybersecurity, Software DevOps, Signal and Image Processing, and Mathematics
You will meet the minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Are working on a degree (Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD) in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, or related technical field
- Have maintained a minimum 3.0/4.0 GPA
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date
- To access APL’s facilities and networks, US Citizenship or permanent resident status is required, subject to applicable laws.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you…
- Have experience dealing with large data sets; pattern recognition, statistical analysis; practical experience developing software and web solutions; Python, R, Matlab, JAVA, or C++/C; and are familiar with visualization software, databases, and maven.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.