2023 Internship - Science/Engineering - Applied Chemistry and Physics
Do you enjoy a fast-paced work environment with opportunities to collaborate across multiple technical areas?
Are you passionate about tackling tough problems to provide real-world impact and drive the future? If yes, then this may be the opportunity for you!
We are seeking a Physicist, Chemistry/Chemical Engineering, Material Scientist, and/or Nuclear Engineering Interns to join the multi-disciplinary Applied Chemistry and Physics Group at APL! In this role, you will find opportunities to pursue bold and creative approaches to solve real world problems.
Our team combines expertise in sensing systems with a deep understanding of national security operational needs to develop tailored solutions for our nation’s pressing challenges, with applications in intelligence, defense, homeland protection, warfighter health, and climate change.
You will be joining a group of hardworking technical specialists who challenge themselves daily in addressing the evolving threats to the nation's defense. We value an inclusive environment where everyone’s ideas are respected, and people are encouraged to bring their full selves to work.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Are pursuing a BS in chemistry, chemical engineering, physics, nuclear engineering, material science or a related technical field, with a minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Have excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills, and have worked successfully in a team environment.
- Are able to travel occasionally to attend meetings with our government partners and operational stakeholders.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
- To access APL’s facilities and networks, U.S. Citizenship or permanent resident status is required, subject to applicable laws.
You will go above and beyond our minimal requirements if you…
- Are pursuing a MS or Ph.D. in chemistry, physics, chemical engineering, or a related technical field with a strong academic record.
- Have experience performing hands-on laboratory research, including in internships
- Have classroom or professional experience performing data analysis and writing scientific reports
- Apply creativity, chemical knowledge, and laboratory experience to address concerns related to national defense, terrorism, and weapons of mass destruction
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.