Reports To: Recreation Director
Preferred Majors: Recreation, Hospitality and Tourism, Sports Management, or related majors
Recreation Interns are involved in the development, promotion and implementation of quality recreational activities and events to resort guests and members. He or she must demonstrate excellent communication, follow up and customer service skills. This internship is intended to fulfill part of the graduation requirements of students currently enrolled in an accredited university (for credit hours). The position is full time, seasonal and includes weekends and holidays. Works under direct supervision.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with all summer programs including daily arts and crafts, teen programs, kids programs, adult programs (21+), and family activities.
- Work closely with the Recreation Director, Head Naturalist, Marketing Director and all recreation/nature staff on programs.
- Promote all recreational and nature activities, services, and programs.
- Displays a friendly, approachable, and energetic attitude.
- Communicates clearly with Recreation Staff on all aspects of events and programs; including planning, organizing, ordering, staffing and executing necessary procedures for a successful event.
- Requires original thinking, creativity, good communication skills, flexibility and resourcefulness.
- Maintains inventory of supplies; informs the Recreation Director on a weekly basis of supply levels.
- Handles opening and closing procedures as well as completing daily maintenance tasks as required.
- Attend and participate in weekly meetings with recreation staff and interns.
- Take reservations, answer phone calls, answer guests questions, and overall be accommodating, kind, and helpful with resort guests
- Perform additional tasks as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
- This position requires a minimum age of 16 years.
- Preferred certification in CPR and First Aid.
- Previous experience in retail or childcare is preferred.
- This position requires the ability to work in tight spaces, bend, sit and/or stand and to lift to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to perform simple grasping, fine manipulation, and repetitive hand & arm movements, and squeezing & overhead reaching.
- Must be able to go up and down numerous steps, bend, push, stoop, lift objects, squat, crawl, kneel, push, pull, and walk on uneven surfaces.
- Must be able to walk and drive outside in a variety of weather conditions (rain, wind, heat).
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation is $10.50 per hour. Staff housing is provided on site with a $100.00 housing deposit due upfront and $100 housing payment deducted from pay each bi-weekly pay period. Enjoy full access to resort amenities including restaurants, fitness center, pools, golf, tennis, volleyball, and basketball.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, or efforts associated with this position. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.
Fripp Island Golf and Beach Resort is an equal opportunity at will employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, disability, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, or due to pregnancy.