Denver Zoo is a leader in animal care, wildlife conservation, and education. We are passionate about our commitment to excellence in support of our mission: Inspiring Communities to Save Wildlife for Future Generations.
Denver Zoo honors our animals, staff, and guests by conducting ourselves at the highest level of integrity through our Core Actions -- Inspire Awe: Safety, Care, Connect and by embracing our Core Values of: Welcoming, United, Curious, Courageous and Transformative in all that we do.
The Planning, Design, and Construction Department is a diverse team of individuals with a broad range of talents. The team works collaboratively with all departments in the Zoo to realize the Zoo’s long-term vision for new facilities, exhibits and capital projects.
The AutoCAD Intern advances Denver Zoo’s mission and goals by assisting members of the Planning, Design, and Construction team with a variety of design and construction related tasks for the Zoo. Interns will be introduced to Denver Zoo culture and procedures, learn safety procedures and guidelines, and be provided an overview of exhibit design, campus design, and project management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Capital Projects (80%)
- Work with the planning team to reconcile and organize the zoo’s master AutoCAD files with new survey, GIS exports, and as-built information.
- Support campus-wide studies to assist in the management of the Zoo Master Plan.
- Participate in the review process of architectural, landscape, and building system design documents (drawings and specifications) by design consultants, for completeness and accuracy.
- Assist in the development of design drawings for small in-house projects, as needed.
- Perform dimension studies for capital projects.
- Perform site analysis and precedent studies for new projects.
- Research and acquire samples for a materials library collection.
- Maintain photographic and written records of project progress.
- Communicate project status regularly to Zoo staff through written updates.
- Assist in contractor coordination during construction projects.
- Attend project team meetings and support the Project Manager and design team by producing presentation materials and keeping meeting minutes.
Team Participation and Administration (20%)
- Participate in Design & Project Management Department meetings.
- Participate in goal setting activities that support the Zoo’s OER (Overall Experience Rating) and Engagement efforts, as well as move the Design & Project Management Department forward.
- Set priorities in alignment with Inspire Awe:Safety first, always;
- Care demonstrated through exceptional guest service;
- Connect with each guest utilizing ROADMAP’s (Reaching Our Audience through Developing Mission Aligned Programs) guest engagement strategies and program development process.
- Demonstrate a commitment to Denver Zoo’s Sustainability Policies by adhering to all environmental, safety, health regulations, procedures, and goals.
- Act in accordance with Denver Zoo’s Core Behaviors: Passion, Respect, Innovation, Diversity, and Excellence in all interactions with staff, guest, volunteers, and vendors.
- Work successfully and efficiently in a fast-paced team environment and solve problems collaboratively.
- Perform various duties, as assigned.
Technical / Professional Requirements & Qualifications
- Working towards a bachelor’s or master’s degree in architecture, landscape architecture, exhibit design, engineering, construction management, or a related discipline. Equivalent and relevant job-related experience will be considered.
- One to two years of experience in construction, engineering, or a related-field (entry level candidates will also be considered).
- Knowledge of general commercial design and construction.
- Ability to read and interpret construction documents.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Must be able to explain construction documents for those not versed in reading/interpreting drawings and specifications.
- Strong AutoCAD and Adobe Creative Suite skills (Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, and Adobe Photoshop) is required.
- Working knowledge in software packages including MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, MS PowerPoint, MS SharePoint, and MS Teams is recommended. Experience with Sketch-Up, BlueBeam, and GIS is desirable.
- Ability to work nights and weekends, as needed.
- Ability to pass a background check, and pre-employment drug and alcohol screen.
- Clear driving record.
Hourly rate: $17.29
This is a seasonal position and as such is not eligible for benefits at this time; however sick time is accrued.
Application Process and Timelines
Resumes / Completed applications must be submitted by February 17th, 2023. Review of applications will begin immediately. Denver Zoo reserves the right to close the position prior to this date.
Denver Zoo is following all CDC guidelines. CDC states that receiving the COVID-19 vaccine is the best defense against the spread of, and severe illness due to, COVID-19. Denver Zoo highly encourages our employees to be vaccinated. We do ask for employees to upload their vaccination card into our HRIS for documentation. This information is kept confidential.
Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) and others who identify as nonwhite, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and those with lived experience with racism and/or misogynoir are encouraged to apply for this role.
Denver Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected status or any other characteristic protected by law.