Seasonal Athletic Fields Maintenance Worker – Denver Parks and Recreation
About Our Job
These are seasonal positions which will work no more than 39 hours per week and are not eligible for benefits.
Seasonal Athletic Fields Maintenance Workers provide operational support for Denver's Athletic Fields located throughout the City of Denver including maintenance of athletic fields and related facilities. These positions provide the opportunity to gain a wide variety of valuable experience in athletic field and turf management while applying best practices in ensuring that Denver’s community members can indulge safely in athletics and the well-being they bring.
These positions will report to 678 S. Jason St., Denver, CO. Work schedules will be either Tuesday – Saturday or Sunday – Thursday with weekday shifts at 7:00 a.m.–3:30 p.m. and weekend shifts at 5:00 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
Skills to be developed and utilized:
- Utilize and maintain trailers, hand-powered tools, and motorized equipment in a safe and efficient manner
- Work outdoors to perform athletic field operations:
- Athletic field preparation including lining, dragging, laying out and squaring athletic fields with various layouts; utilizing basic math skills to ensure proper layout/measurements
- Athletic field repair and preventative maintenance including various turf management tasks such as mowing, aerating, seeding, top dressing and ensuring appropriately functioning irrigation
- Related landscaping duties to maintain aesthetics of ball field facilities such as edging, sodding, trimming, raking, horticultural work, etc.
- Perform various facilities and infrastructure maintenance tasks such as painting and minor repairs
- Interact with and learn best practices from more seasoned and knowledgeable athletic field and turf management experts; develop skills to understand how community athletic fields can best suit the needs of community athletic leagues and sports enthusiasts
- Perform snow removal operations such as plowing, shoveling, de-icing
- Various related duties as needed such as trash collection, bathroom maintenance and cleaning, vandalism repair and graffiti removal
We are seeking reliable and driven individuals who are looking to develop a well-rounded skill set in the pursuit of or interest in an athletic field/turf management career. Our ideal candidates will enjoy working outside, be adept with safety considerations and are eager to make a positive impact on the community. Additionally, our ideal candidates will have:
- Knowledge of athletic sports (baseball, football, kickball, rugby, soccer, lacrosse, etc.) and field layouts
- Experience with facilities and landscape maintenance
- Basic math skills such as measuring, addition/subtraction/multiplication/division, and problem solving
- Experience with light to heavy equipment operation (such as mowers, tractors, trailers) and hand-powered tools
- Ability to work independently with considerable responsibility
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education: None
- Experience: None
- Licenses/Certification(s): Requires a valid Driver's License at the time of application. Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment