2023 Summer Intern Program – Lenders Finance Group
What is the Opportunity?
SMBC hosts a 10-week Summer Intern Program for undergraduate students who will have the opportunity to work on teams, be exposed to significant firm-wide projects within their respective business areas and support a range of deals with our clients.
We offer many different opportunities including building financial models, developing client presentations, conducting research, and observing client meetings – all to improve their understanding of the global banking industry.
Our Summer Intern Program is an excellent gateway to our full-time Analyst Program.
We are currently hiring into the following areas:
Strategic Credit Products Department – Lenders Finance
The Lender Finance Group provides financing to financial institutions primarily engaged in middle-market leveraged lending. LFG activities support both permanent financing for loan asset manager portfolios as well as warehouse financing for CLOs which are arranged by Nikko.
The group has provided $10 billion in asset-based or corporate facilities across ~15-20 counterparties.
At SMBC, we connect the diversity of our employees to the resilience of our firm. We strongly encourage an inclusive environment so that our staff can be their authentic selves and fully thrive in their roles. It is our belief that diversity is not only about demographic differences but also of thought, knowledge, skills, and culture. The acceptance of such diversity strengthens each one of us and is essential to the success of our firm. We are deeply committed to attracting and retaining a high-performing, talented, and diverse workforce.
We are a market leader. The evolution of SMBC’s products and services is driven by the ever-changing needs of companies across the globe in every industry sector. SMBC takes market-leading positions and has been consistently recognized in the banking industry for providing outstanding financial services.
Our corporate relationships are built on trust. To successfully navigate an uncertain economy while also capitalizing on the opportunities that rise, clients count on SMBC to take a long-term view that emphasizes stability and attention to the numbers. This approach has served our clients well.
Our competitive advantage:
- A strong client base with broad coverage of the Fortune 500
- Worldwide operations enable us to provide clients with global solutions, make SMBC the leading choice for U.S. businesses expanding in Asia
- A solid balance sheet and conservative approach
How Our Program Works
Our Summer Intern Program is designed for students who completed their junior year.
This 10-week program commences in June and includes:
- Training with on-the-desk experience
- Senior Speaker Series
- Japanese cultural activities
- Social networking activities
- Volunteer Day with a local nonprofit
- Mentorship opportunity with both a junior and senior mentor at SMBC
The successful candidate will possess or demonstrate the following personal and professional attributes:
- Currently pursuing an undergraduate degree from an accredited university with a graduation date of December 2023 or May 2024; excellent academic record
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with specific ability to communicate concepts and ideas concisely
- Financial modeling/valuation and analytical skills; keen interest in finance and markets
- Ability to comfortably interact with clients in a professional and mature manner
- Outstanding ethics, integrity, and judgment
- Intellectual curiosity
- Comfort in and commitment to a strong teamwork environment
- Highly organized, detail oriented, self-driven, and motivated
- Advanced Word, Excel, and PowerPoint skills and the ability to quickly learn new software applications