The CSU Health Network is seeking to hire a certified Phlebotomist to assist in the daily operation of the CSU Health and Medical Center Laboratory.
This position works collaboratively with the Medical Laboratory Scientists and Laboratory Assistants/Phlebotomists to provide medical care through phlebotomy and other sample collection techniques. Employees must be able to stand and be active for long periods during their shifts. This position will report to the Laboratory Manager
This position will perform duties under the supervision of the current certified Laboratory Assistants/Phlebotomists
- Check in, double identify, and review insurance and billing options for laboratory tests ordered by a variety of medical providers.
- Perform tasks necessary for providing the appropriate sample for testing to include but not limited to venipuncture, describing appropriate collection techniques for urinalysis, urine drug screens, self-collection for STI testing, fecal collection and H.pylori breath tests.
- Alert co-workers and/or nursing staff for any clinically abnormal situation that may arise during venipuncture (ex. Syncope, sudden illness, fears etc.)
- Some faxing, filing, reviewing and scanning of outside orders/requests.
- Know and maintain appropriate sample stability requirements when distributing samples to lockboxes for our reference laboratories.
- Maintain, clean, restock, and sanitize workstation and laboratory daily.
- May perform, once proved competent, various CLIA waived tests in the laboratory, to include but not limited to SARS-CoV Ag rapid testing, Influenza A/B, urine Drug Screens, and/or rapid Strep A screening and urine “dip” testing.
Required Job Qualifications
- Current phlebotomy certification from an accredited institution in good standing by start date.
- Successful completion of a Phlebotomy Certification program by start date
- Successful completion of practical experience and technique for venipuncture
Preferred Job Qualifications
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Other Characteristics
- A personal or professional commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through purposeful effort and active planning
- One year experience working or volunteering in a health care setting requiring use of phlebotomy skills.
- Active CPR or BLS certification
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Exceptional customer service skills
Information about career competencies can be found: https://career.colostate.edu/employer-resources/career-competencies/.
Conditions of Employment
- Background Check – Colorado State University may conduct background checks on final candidates.
- Benefits Information-Employee benefit information can be found on HR’s Website at: https://hr.colostate.edu/current-employees/benefits/.
- Employee Health - for the protection of patients and staff, the CSU Health Network follows CDC guidelines for employee health. Vaccinations must be up to date according to CSU Health Network Employee Health policy, or you must be willing to become current with requirements.
- Hazardous Materials - must be willing and able to use, handle, or be exposed to hazardous materials, including blood-borne pathogens, with training.
Expected Start Date / Work Schedule
- Expected start date: Summer 2023
- Expected end date: Summer 2024 with the option of renewal.
- Schedule: After training is completed, this position may work up to 20 hours per week, days variable based on Laboratory needs and employee availability.
Student Hourly / Work-Study Applicants
This position is open to student hourly and work-study applicants.
Hourly Pay Rate:
$16.50 per hour
Number of Openings