Project Engineering Co-op
Co-Op Student, Project Engineering
Coeur Alaska is seeking a motivated Mechanical/Electrical/Civil Engineering student, to complete a Co-Op with our Project Engineering Group at the Kensington mine in 2024 (minimum 6 months, ideally 8 months). The Kensington mine is an underground gold mine located within the Berners Bay Mining District about 45 miles north of Juneau, Alaska.
Our Co-Op program will provide you with the opportunity to gain real-world, on-the-job experience at Coeur Alaska. Interns are mentored throughout the Co-Op by industry professionals and given ownership of projects with a tangible impact on the company. Longer rotations at site (~3 weeks on and 1 week off) will be required.
Coeur Mining, Inc. is a well-diversified growing precious metals producer with five operations in North America. Our purpose statement is, We Pursue a Higher Standard. Everything we do is fueled by this statement; it is our foundation and inspiration for our actions every day. At Coeur, we PROTECT our people, places and planet, DEVELOP quality resources, growth and plans, and DELIVER impactful results through teamwork.
What You’ll be Doing:
The Co-Op student will be responsible for projects underground, within the milling and water treatment operations, and on surface infrastructure; they will report directly to the project engineering team. They will be expected to create solutions to existing challenges underground and on the surface to improve operational safety, environmental performance, and increase overall productivity of the mining and milling operations. The Co-Op will be expected to manage all aspects of their project including: budget, scope, design verification, modeling, part procurement, and working with craftsmen to implement their project.
What We’re Looking For:
- Pursuing a degree in Mechanical, Electrical, or Civil Engineering B.S. or Engineering Technology degree (ME, EE, CE, MET, EET)
- Experience with CAD (NX, AutoCAD, Solidworks, or similar)
- Project and teamwork experience
- Ability to work safely and promote a safety mindset through design and action
- Ability to work both independently and with a multidisciplinary team (engineers, miners, mechanics, electricians, geologists, safety coordinators, etc.)
- Heavy industry or construction site work experience a plus
- Team leadership experience a plus
- Ability to work 6-8 months, beginning in early 2024 (ideally January-August)
- Standing junior or senior at an accredited university
- Minimum GPA 2.5, preferred GPA 3.0 or higher
- Experience with Microsoft Excel, Power Point, and Word
- Self-starter and people-oriented
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment and ability to multi-task.
- Strong teammate able to collaborate with teams on complex assignments
- Must be legally authorized to work full-time in the country of hire without requiring current or future sponsorship for employment.
- Curiosity and willingness to learn!
Preferred Qualifications; based on your degree:
- Mechanical: Experience with 3D modeling, drafting, designing for fabrication of metal structures, experience working with pumping and piping systems. Completed Coursework: Fluid Mechanics, Mechanics of Materials, Dynamics, Controls,
- Electrical: Experience with low voltage distribution systems, ECAD, Industrial controls, PLCs, motor drives, instrumentation. Completed Coursework: Controls, Power Systems, Circuits, Electronics/Power Electronics
- Civil: Experience with concrete design, structural design, water treatment, hydrology, or AutoCad
Benefits for our Engineering Co-Op Participants:
- Travel at start and finish of program are covered (to and from Juneau)
- Generously paid internship $25/hour
- Housing & meals are covered while on rotation
- Two additional round trip flights and up to $2000 to cover cost of hotels for off rotations
- Potential for further opportunities with Coeur Mining including direct placement, further internships, Coeur Development Program participation, and more
- Immense exposure and education on all the Mining Industry can offer
Be sure to connect with your academic advisor to learn about the requirement for Co-Op accreditation within your program & to discuss impacts on your academic trajectory.
Go to www.coeur.com to apply for this position.
It is the policy of Coeur Mining, Inc. and its direct and indirect United States subsidiaries (the “Company”) to provide equal opportunity employment to all Employees and applicants for employment. No person working at the Company's facilities in the United States is to be discriminated against in employment because of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, or veteran status.