Assistant Editor, Phenomenal World
Phenomenal World (PW) is seeking an assistant editor to join its editorial team. The editor will research and write Phenomenal World’s newsletters, including PW Sources, edit and develop pieces and projects for PW, and edit research releases from the Jain Family Institute, the parent organization of PW.
You will be a good fit for this role if you have an editorial background, sharp writing skills, and an interest in history, finance, policy, politics, economics, and the like. Phenomenal World is a growing publication with a unique niche, and the editorial team values a self-starting, curious, and resourceful approach.
Phenomenal World is a publication focused on political economy. We aim to publish rigorous and innovative writing on economics, history, finance, policy, and politics. A publication of the Jain Family Institute, we explore political economy from a range of social scientific disciplines, and work with emerging and established scholars in and outside of JFI’s projects.
Priority deadline to apply: November 30, 2023 and rolling basis thereafter
In this position, roughly 80% of your time will focus on Phenomenal World and the newsletters, and 20% will focus on JFI on an as-needed basis. The assistant editor will have three core areas of work:
- Phenomenal World newsletters and editing
- Editorial support for JFI’s research initiatives
- Phenomenal World expansion, partnerships, and promotion.
Phenomenal World newsletters and editing
You will be involved in every aspect of PW, including:
- Commissioning articles and assisting with the development of a roster of writers
- Copy editing and proofreading articles for the website
- Managing, researching, and writing PW Sources, our weekly newsletter
Communications and editorial support for JFI’s research initiatives
JFI's policy researchers frequently produce new research on topics related to the social safety net, student debt, and macro policy. The editorial department collaborates with the research team on editing papers and hosting events. Tasks will center on your editorial judgment:
- Shaping, editing, and finalizing research products from JFI researchers such as memos, briefs, and reports
- Part-time, 3 days (~24 hours) per week.
- JFI’s in-office commitment is two days a week—usually Mondays and Wednesdays. Our typical hours are 10am – 6pm EST.
- We have a strong preference for in-office collaboration and therefore prefer candidates who reside in or near New York City. If you feel you are a strong candidate for this position but do not reside in NYC, please apply, and we can discuss in-office time for training and periodic visits thereafter, as needed.
- Two years or more of experience editing a publication
- Strong copyediting and proofreading skills
- An ability to fulfill deadlines independently and in a timely manner
- A serious commitment to clarity and style in writing
- A familiarity and interest in economics, politics, sociology, history, and the broad scope of political economy we cover on Phenomenal World
- Proficiency with Mailchimp, Twitter and its advertising tools, Wordpress, Google Analytics, and Google Drive
- Participation in 401(k) plan with company matching
- Opportunities to meet with leading scholars and policy experts