2024 Internship - Nuclear Command Resilient Systems
Do you love pushing the bounds of technology for multi-disciplinary projects while solving challenges for our nation’s most critical assets?
Are you excited to work in diverse teams to solve real-world problems of national significance?
If you’re pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Information Science, Operations Research, Systems Engineering, or a related field and want to gain experience applying your skills to dynamic problems, we’d love to have you join our team!
We are seeking interns to help us engineer, research, design, and analyze in the areas of digital and mission engineering, cybersecurity, software engineering (backend and frontend), and model-based systems engineering for our nation’s most important communications systems! We value bold ideas, open discussion, and diversity of thought. Our team is also committed to developing exceptional talent and fostering a culture of innovation and collaboration.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you have all of the following:
- Enrollment status in an undergraduate or graduate degree program in Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Operations Research, Systems Engineering, or a closely related field
- A passion for using your knowledge to do at least one of the following:
- Plan and write effective software
- Secure critical computer systems
- Model details of large systems of systems
- A minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale
- The ability to obtain an Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and to ultimately obtain a Top Secret level clearance (if selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include at least 18 years of age and U.S. citizenship)
You'll stand out if you have one or more of the following.
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Operations Research, Systems Engineering, or a closely related field
- Familiarity with concepts and tools from one or more of the following areas:
- Software Engineering, particularly algorithm construction, frontend/UI design, or machine learning implementation
- Cybersecurity, particularly security protocol assessment, system virtualization, operations emulation, or red/blue teaming
- Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE), particularly Cameo Enterprise Architecture, MagicDraw, TeamworkCloud, or model profiles
- Prior experience with a United States Department of Defense (DoD) organization or contractor
- An active DoD-issued Security Clearance at the Secret or higher level
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better plac